No announcement yet.

How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

and other Gold Hardware.

I have some Deans with gold hardware that through excessive gig use are starting to look, well, $h!tty. Can these be cleaned up at all? Or am I just gonna replace?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

toothpaste

or Brasso

if that fails

replace
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
      toothpaste

or Brasso

if that fails

replace
      I guess. But be gentle. That's just a super thin gold plating and you'll rub through it in a heartbeat.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I'd consider chemical bath like salt and vinegar or something safer since gold is not easily soluble.

Comment

Brasso seems harsh.

I'll try Toothpaste

My sweat just eats that stuff. Replace covers, and of course pickups, is an option...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My experience:
            I bought a brand new Gretsch with all gold hardware, but the highest point on the bigsby was tarnished, possibly from something where the case contacted it. I called FMIC to get advice how it could be cleaned, being a warranty matter. Support rep said, “Use silver polish and rub gently.” So I used silver polish and rubbed gently. Gold came right off. Called back, “You told me to use silver polish and it took the gold right off. Now how do I get this fixed? It’s a brand new guitar?” Response, “You can buy a replacement. I can order it for you. We don’t warranty the gold plating.”

Comment

Gold is a soft metal, and even the 18K stuff is pretty thin. Much of the Asian gold plating is 7 or 10K, and comes off if you stare it for long.

You want it to stay shiny? Buy brass, polish it up, and apply that clear lacquer that horn makers use. It will stick.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                Gold is a soft metal, and even the 18K stuff is pretty thin. Much of the Asian gold plating is 7 or 10K, and comes off if you stare it for long.

You want it to stay shiny? Buy brass, polish it up, and apply that clear lacquer that horn makers use. It will stick.
                Absolutely agree with this. Once it starts to go, it goes. That's one of the things I personally like about gold

Comment

Soap and water only. Anything abrasive will wreck the plating in a flash. That includes toothpaste.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Would a heavier layer of 18k gold plating be more durable?

I only have gold hardware on one guitar, and it’s more silver colored than gold at this point.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      Would a heavier layer of 18k gold plating be more durable?

I only have gold hardware on one guitar, and it’s more silver colored than gold at this point.
                      Should be more durable. Gold doesn't tarnish or corrode so I think the issue is abrasion physically wearing away a superthin plating, at which point moisture & acid can go to work on the exposed metal underneath.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I say....replace. Look for good replacements, and don't buy it all at once to keep costs down (old musician tip). Gold just doesn't seem to hold up well in this humid state. I have seen satin finished gold that fares better.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Use a really good micro fiber cloth to clean - 20% polymide Grant’s cloths are good ones. Harbor Freight has them.

A dremel with a very soft pad on low speed if you are brave, I’ve used a really fine plastic wire wheel in a dremel as well to eat up the corrosion. Then wax it with a good carnauba wax
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            My experience:
                            I bought a brand new Gretsch with all gold hardware, but the highest point on the bigsby was tarnished, possibly from something where the case contacted it. I called FMIC to get advice how it could be cleaned, being a warranty matter. Support rep said, “Use silver polish and rub gently.” So I used silver polish and rubbed gently. Gold came right off. Called back, “You told me to use silver polish and it took the gold right off. Now how do I get this fixed? It’s a brand new guitar?” Response, “You can buy a replacement. I can order it for you. We don’t warranty the gold plating.”
                            Wow! That's aweful customer service. What did you end up doing?
                            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Just curious if anyone is aware of a material that looks like gold, is not expensive from a manufacturing cost standpoint, that could be used instead of gold for pickup covers? I guess I am a little suprised that given the state of modern material sciences, no manufacturer has figured out a substitute for gold plating...
                              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                              X