Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AniML
    replied
    Re: How often do you change your Elixers?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    The few times I've used them, the coating flakes off in a week, leaving white dandruff all over the case and my clothes. I'd rather just change strings more. I have tried the new D'Addario XTs, which are coated with something that doesn't flake off, and those seem to last pretty long. Still not sure if it is worth spending the $ for them, or just changing regular strings more.
    I checked my string box and I am out of Elixers but I did have a set of XT that I put on. My first impression was to grab my wirecutters, but I will let them settle. I think they are going to be too thin and shrill on a a bright guitar like my 314. But they do feel a bit less stiff compared to the Elixers. I think the coating on the XTs is similar to Martin Lifespan, which I love on my 000-15. Those might work on the Taylor.. hmm

Leave a comment:

• nexion218
    replied

I never change them 'cause I never put them on. I have one guitar now strung with them. But those are still the factory strings. How do I know? Flakes... But I have to admit that they feel kinda nice under my hands and sounding dull is not an option for them due to the EMGs

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

The few times I've used them, the coating flakes off in a week, leaving white dandruff all over the case and my clothes. I'd rather just change strings more. I have tried the new D'Addario XTs, which are coated with something that doesn't flake off, and those seem to last pretty long. Still not sure if it is worth spending the $ for them, or just changing regular strings more.

Leave a comment:

• The JEM Ghost
    replied

I also use Elixirs due to very acidic sweat that just eat regular strings away in no time.
    I do tend to change the Elixirs every 3 months or so, they are not corroded by then, but it just guarantees fresh good tones.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Sounds like it is...

I’ve gone through phases with Elixirs. I prefer the tone of regular strings (Ernie Ball Slinky’s and D’Addario Phospohor Bronze) but with the kids the last thing I want when I actually get playing time is to sit down and strum full strings. Basically all my guitars are Elixir now so they sound decent no matter what. The lightly played ones can go many months, sometimes a year between changes. My main electric I like to change about every 3 months, but if it goes 4/5/even 6 it’s way better than Slinky’s at that point.

Leave a comment:

• AniML
    started a topic How often do you change your Elixers?

How often do you change your Elixers?

I've had them on for about 3-4 months and the last few times I've played the guitar (Taylor 314) it has sounded kind of dull and lifeless. Guitar gets some light-moderate playing time a few days a week.

Maybe time for a fresh set?
Working...
X