Pots Knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pots Knowledge

I'm new to building and wiring guitars and I'm confused about Volume Pots and Tone Pots. Are there specific pots that are dedicated only for volume and tone or is it about how you wire them from the pickups that makes the pot a volume or tone? Also are there specific pots to have a master volume/tone? I greatly appreciate any knowledge you can give.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 06-13-2020, 04:37 PM.

Re: Pots Knowledge

Originally posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    . . . or is it about how you wire them from the pickups that makes the pot a volume or tone?
    Exactly. A pot is a pot. It's how you wire it that makes its function. Although, some people prefer a log taper for volume and linear for tone. Or vice-versa.

Comment

As used in guitars, the same potentiometers are usually used for both tone and volume, both in terms of value and taper. You can monkey around with these values and tapers to get different results which or may not be useful and pleasing to the ear.

Comment

the volume pot has one grounded outside leg
        if that ground comes loose
        it acts just like a tone pot
        which doesnt have a grounded leg

look at some of the wiring diagrams
        it is really simple if you take a minute to grasp it
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
        X