Going down a Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going down a Gauge

My strat is currently in 10-48 with the nut slots cut specifically for that gauge.

I'm considering dropping down to 9.5 - 46 but not sure if I'll need a new nut...

Theoretically, if going down from 10-48 (10 13 17 28 38 48) to 9.5-46 (9.5 12 16 26 36 46)

should I be able to keep the same nut or will the slots now be a bit too wide? Surely such a slight change shouldn't affect things too much?
    -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
    -Hard Ash Strat Amdusias set
    -JPM100 x2 PAF pro/Super D + Breed/Transition
    -Vigier Shawn Lane Aph1-n/Norton
    -Suhr SSS Strat V60/V60/ML Bridge (SSCII)
    -RG7 BKP Brutes

Re: Going down a Gauge

Based on my very limited knowledge, you should be OK. I've heard pro builders on here say that they intentionally cut the slots a tad bigger than the intended gauge to avoid binding. If your nut was done with that philosophy in mind, the slot end up being too wide which could give rise to a select assortment of ailments. I'd say go for it and ye shall see. Worst case is you lose a set of strings.

Comment

Assuming it’s working ok now, you’ll be fine.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

you will be fine
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I agree with the people here.

Going from .009 to .012 would require a truss rod adjustment or different setup, but going down by that small amount likely won't matter.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

On almost all the guitars I have owned, I have been able to use 9, 9.5, and 10 gauge strings interchangeably with no modification to the nut. It may change your intonation and neck relief a tiny amount, but that is easy to adjust. I use D'Addario or Ernie Ball 9.5 on almost every guitar I own now. Best all-round gauge I have found.

Comment

I agree, should be just fine.

I'm thinking about going to .009s on 25½" scale guitars myself, and .0095s on the others.

The hands aren't getting any younger, y'know.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I've experimented with different gauges and never needed to adjust or replace the nut. It'll probably need a slight truss rod adjustment though

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s the depth of the nut slot that matters. I’ve gone from 10s to 8s on my Parker P-38 and didn’t have to touch the nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went from 10 to 9.5 recently and barely had to touch the intonation even

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

If there's a trem, you might need to tweak the claw a bit. Truss rod, probably not.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I don't hear much difference in tone between the 10 and 9.5 sets. Nine gauge always sound a bit thin and buzzy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                          I don't hear much difference in tone between the 10 and 9.5 sets. Nine gauge always sound a bit thin and buzzy to me.
                          Buzzy?

Listen to Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi, Billy Gibbons, and Terry Kath playing 8s. Not thin or buzzy.

I use 8s. They sound the same as my guitar with 10s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If a smaller gauge string sounds buzzy, you just need to adjust the setup a bit. No big.
                            ---------------------------
                            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                            X