$40 for a tune up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $40 for a tune up??

i took my schecter hardtail into a local shop today to have the truss adjusted and the guitar adjusted overall, and they charged $35 for that, and some $6-7 for the strings on TOP of that. isn't this a bit much? i remember in my old town paying $25 with strings. hopefully he does one hell of a job.
    Line 6 Flextone II 1x12
    Schecter C-1 Classic, JB bridge, '59 neck
    Anyone want to donate a tube amp?

Re: $40 for a tune up??

It usually runs between $25-$40 for that depending on where you take it to.

Comment

What??!! Only $40? What a STEAL!! In NYC, an string change and basic setup by a decent tech will set you back $75 + strings.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Always bring your own strings. There's a guy down in Redondo Beach, only charges me $30 when i bring my own strings in.
        Louis XIII!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite Dreams
          i took my schecter hardtail into a local shop today to have the truss adjusted and the guitar adjusted overall, and they charged $35 for that, and some $6-7 for the strings on TOP of that. isn't this a bit much? i remember in my old town paying $25 with strings. hopefully he does one hell of a job.
          That's not bad - in San Diego you won't find a place that'll setup a hardtail for less than 50-60 + strings. Floyds 75+... I think service charges are always affected by cost of living, and SD and NYC are expensive... Where are you from?

Comment

I´d charge you about 5 bucks more
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

i'm from san luis obispo, ca. i guess i'm just used to getting a really really good $25 setup back in lake tahoe (where i used to live), but after hearing all these 60-75$ ranges i guess i'm pretty lucky to only be paying 40.
              Line 6 Flextone II 1x12

Comment

The average rate should be $25 plus strings, if they only get the guitar playing as good as it can and intonated.

For $45 plus strings, they can only justify that if they're running a file through the nut slots, and getting the guitar to play like butter.

Hold him to it. If you have to pay $50, don't leave his presence till that guitar plays like a million bucks. I do my own setups, which are usually more perfect than a tech will do, but I still pay a local guy $20 to get my nut slots completely perfect, since I don't have the proper files. I need to buy a set one of these days. I don't know why I haven't already.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I just got my guitar back from a set up and tweak of the Nut. It's a 2001 American Strat . Set up was by Jim Mouradian in Cambbridge, Massachusetts. He was recomended by 2 people here so I figured that's cool.
                  $55 for the work
                  The Good: She plays well and stays in tune better when I use the bar. Still goes out a bit if I go crazy , but for the most part A-OK. Intonation was really sweet when I got her back. Hopefully she will be in good shape for a while now (only had her for 3 days now)

The Bad: He seemed really behind on his work. I showed up one Saturday and He said he had a ton of work so "come back in 3 weeks" he writes it on calendar. 3 weeks later I come back to drop the guitar off.

We talk for about 10 minutes about this and that and the work I want done . He looks me straight and says "I have it ready next saturday". Next Saturday I call and it's not ready. He says he'll have it next saturday . I call next saturday , still not done. So I come back 9 days later , a monday , and pick it up.

Overall not a good experience. If it will take a month just tell me up front and I'll know how long it will take, and be cool with it.

The work gets a B++
                  The execution gets a D
                  2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Comment

I'm with Gearjoneser on this, learning to do your own setups will save you a ton of money in the long run, and you'll know the work was done right. When I first started playing guitar, I had a tech at the local music store set it up. He charged me $50, and the thing was buzzing like crazy when I got it back. Even as an inexperienced guitar player who knew very little about setups, I knew that the work was less than stellar. On top of that, he was supposed to coil tap the pickups on my Wolfgang, and the guy insisted that it couldn't be done...any tech who insists that a 4 conductor pickup can't be tapped isn't getting my business ever again. The only time I'd ever go to a tech again was for nut work, because I don't have the experience or equipment to do it myself. In general, I recommend looking up authorized Buzz Feiten retrofit technicians. That's not an easy process, so your average high school kid trying to set up guitars at the local Guitar Center isn't going to bother with getting certified. A Feiten-certified tech is much more likely to know what he's doing than some random guy from the local music store.

Ryan
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

By the way, Dan Erlewine's books should be on the shelf of every serious guitar player.

Ryan
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I agree, for that price you should be getting the works. That's what I give my customers at work ($35 + strings).

And timing can be a pain. I try and make sure a customer is called if things are taking longer than previously expected. Sadly, my coworkers don't always do this and we'll have guitars that I have no idea what work is being done on them (I only work Saturdays) so they'll come in and I just have to be honest and say "Sorry, I don't know but I'll make sure it's looked into".

Comment

i pay my tech 65 bucks for a super tune and 75 an hour for strandard work... he is the sh*&! He works on albert lees guitars. I seen alberts ernie ball in his shop one day when i was picking my tele up. Bastard would not let me touch it though lol.

Comment

What is there to a setup that's woth $50+? Do you people who pay for setups and are satisfied get anything besides truss rod adjustment, intonation, a polishing and a new set of strings?

Comment

see that's the thing- i would love to be able to save some money and do all the adjustments myself, but i don't know where to start. does Dan Erlewine's book really help that much? man it would be nice to know what i am doing at home instead of taking it into the shop, i could basically buy a new pedal or some other kind of accessory every time i took it in. thanks for all these replies everyone.
                              Line 6 Flextone II 1x12

Comment

Working...
                              X