Care of lacquer finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care of lacquer finishes

My American Original ‘50s Telecaster came with a little pamphlet called “Lacquer Finishes: Precautions and Care”.

An excerpt:

Originally posted by Fender
    Section 3, Chemical Reactions: Use only a non-silicone based guitar polish, and avoid using guitar straps, stands or wall hangers made from vinyl, plastic, synthetic or surgical rubber tubing, as these materials may react with the lacquer and mar the finish of your instrument.
    So what does that leave? Is this where you wrap the contact points of the stand in clean white cotton flannel and hope for the best?
    Last edited by TMD; 06-28-2020, 04:44 AM.
    What’s funnier than putting up roadblocks to stop the advance of someone who’s running away from you at four hundred miles an hour?

Re: Care of lacquer finishes

Have owned many nitro finished guitars and never had issues. Worked in shops however and saw MAJOR finish damage from leaving guitars out on hangers and stands long term. Trick is to use only pure Carnauba car wax on the finish and don't leave your guitar sitting out on a hanger or stand long term keep it in the case.
    My 25 year old 1995 nitro finished Washburn USA MG 120 any questions?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MG 120 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	5820939
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-28-2020, 03:10 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
      ...any questions?
      How long is too long to leave a nitro guitar on a hanger or stand?
      What’s funnier than putting up roadblocks to stop the advance of someone who’s running away from you at four hundred miles an hour?

Comment

Do yourself a favor: Buy several of the classic design Hamilton guitar/bass stands. Best design on the market, totally safe for solvent-based finishes, last forever, folds up small enough to fit in the back of a combo amp or in a gig bag, the most stable of any folding stand, and among the most affordable stands sold. With these out there at 25 bucks, there's almost no reason for anyone to buy any other folding guitar stand. I've had my pair for something like 25 years, and I invested less than people spend these days on a single stand that will eat their finish and/or not last for the long haul. Never a dive, never any finish damage, have gigged with them for literally decades. Everything else feels like garbage to me, and costs too much as well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SABEgKH2fD_BwE
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-28-2020, 03:47 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

There are stands and hangers on the market safe for nitro. Avoid the cheap ones with the rubber surgical tubing. I've got Hercules wall hangers and stands and they're safe.

I used to loop my cable between the strap and the body - that is until I had a cable with a rubber wrap that covered the plug end and about 6 inches down the cable. The rubber started to melt the nitro finish where it made contact with the guitar body.
          -
          My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/16072...-guitar-stand/

http://herculesstands.com/international/faq/

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/a...o-safe.402740/
            Last edited by TMD; 06-28-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I think buying a guitar with a laquer finish just requires a little more care. You can't use many of the commonly available stands, or cleaners. It is just more fragile overall. Some people are totally OK with this extra care, and some don't care. But it is something to be aware of when deciding on buying a particular instrument.
              Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan
              Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Comment

Name:	ADD133DD-73A1-46E3-ACCC-912C72D4C94B.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	5820942

Name:	F0922888-9422-4AC6-9E5A-F975D7A8D185.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	5820943

Comment

Hercules is just covering their butts legally just in case someone with some wonky version of nitro lacquer reacts with their stands. I've got several Fenders and a Gibson that have been hanging on Hercules hangers for years and they've not had a hint of an issue.
                  -
                  My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

That Fender stand claims to be nitrocellulose safe. I actually bought it for my Explorer a couple of years ago.

Comment

Anybody have any anecdotal evidence regarding the compatibility of this stand with nitrocellulose lacquer finishes?

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/access...991803000.html

Name:	85B7A618-6A56-4409-B094-1CF8F4038D36.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	5821001
                      Last edited by TMD; 07-04-2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Good lord this seems like a lot of work. I have an army of acoustic instruments with nitro finishes. Guess we’ll see if my wall hangers are safe.
                        "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And itís the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

Comment

I use the mini Fenders, have gigged for decades setting my Highway 1 Tele on it. Never marred the finish. I did more damage to the finish while rewiring it than playing out. Lacquer is easy to repair anyway.
                          Originally posted by Demanic
                          Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
                          Originally posted by GuitarFanatic
                          I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
                          I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
                          I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Comment

Forgot to ask: What do you use to clean and polish nitro finishes?

Comment

Originally posted by TMD View Post
                              Forgot to ask: What do you use to clean and polish nitro finishes?
                              Soft cotton rag and a little bit of water. Next level up, dish soap. Next level up for grime is Ivory bar soap. Then rinse, and rub till dry with a soft 100 percent cotton rag. Not a wash cloth, because they are sewn up with poly thread. The best thing is an unstitched rag that you have cut out from a really old tee shirt.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X