Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wudtone Body Finishing Kit?

Hello All,

It has been years since I posted, but a topic has pulled me out of retirement.

Anyone have any experience with the Wudtone Body Finishing Kit? http://www.wudtone.com/product/finis...carmine-gypsy/ (It is a UK company and they have a US distributor.)

I was gifted an unfinished tele body and I want to finish it exactly like the red strat body in the photo within the link.

Guitar finish experts guide me.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
    If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Re: Wudtone Body Finishing Kit?

I've no experience with them, but it seems pretty expensive for what you get. And I can't see where they tell you what you're getting as far as finish type (lacquer, acrylic, poly, oil, etc) or quantity (pint, quart).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

***Update***

I ordered the Wudtone Body Finishing Kit in Carmine Gypsy and it arrived today.

I was shocked that the kit was three tiny 50ml bottles that are only filled about half way. Hopefully a little goes a long way and it's enough to do a whole tele body.

Attached Files
      If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Interesting. Keep us posted on the progress!
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

***Update****

First step completed. This is the deep color coat.

It needs to dry for 24 hours then I can start with the base color coat.

I've attached a before and after cell phone photo.
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, that looks pretty amazing to me!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Looks great so far, if the stuff works it's worth it!

Comment

***Update***

Deep color coat is fully dry and I just applied the first out of five base coats.

So far everything is going really smooth.

Here's a close up shot of the first base coat while wet. (It's not as orange in real life.)

I don't want to get ahead of myself but I think this is going to turn out exactly like I wanted it to. When the entire process is complete, I'll take some pro photos with my macro lens and strobes.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Wonker; 07-31-2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

***Update***

Base coats completed.

Here's what it looks like with the first top coat. (Crap cell phone shot attached)
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's a fantastic color!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

***Update***

Well it is almost done. It just needs to cure for a week and maybe I'll go over it one more time with some 0000 steel wool. (Real photos in a week)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top_Coat_3rd_Final.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	6008412

Comment

Is it going to have an ashtray style bridge? I'm trying to imagine what it will look like.

Comment

That looks stellar!

Quick question, is it more reddish in person? I only ask because the Wudtone pics look quite a bit more red to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                            Is it going to have an ashtray style bridge? I'm trying to imagine what it will look like.
                            I have no clue what bridge I'm going to use. To be honest, I thought I was going to mess the finish up and didn't want to get ahead of myself.

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                            That looks stellar!

Quick question, is it more reddish in person? I only ask because the Wudtone pics look quite a bit more red to me.
                            It is way more red in real life but not as red as the photos on the wudtone site. I don't know how they got it that red. (Plus these are crap cell phone pics in bad light)

I would say the red color I was able to get on the black korina body is a 90% Gibson cherry and 10% blood orange mix.

Comment

***Final Update***

Here's a shot of the completed finish.

I was looking for something that would mimic the Gibson faded finishes and I could do at home, with no equipment or experience. I ended up with something way better.

Pros

1. It was really easy to do. (no mess, very low odor, no finger prints, drips or runs.)
                              2. It looks totally pro. (my crap photos don't hammer that point home.) It looks better than most production finishes I've seen.

Cons

1. The kit is kind of expensive for what it is.
                              2. The red is a little more orange than I expected.
                              3. It is a slow process. (It took about 11 days and still needs to cure for 5 more.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_97394.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	6008851

Last edited by Wonker; 08-11-2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X