NGD: Godin Multiac Steel Duet Ambience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Godin Multiac Steel Duet Ambience

This is something I picked up last week and it is a very specific guitar for a very specific purpose: to sound great plugged in, and remain comfortable to play for several hours at a time. This is different from a normal acoustic, which usually sounds great to the player and the audience in a small room. But I've heard beautiful Martins and Taylors reduced to sounding like paper banjos through a PA system. So this guitar has some fancy electronics in it to accomplish the job.

It is a thin body guitar (just a little thicker than an LP) with a massively chambered mahogany body with a solid spruce top. The nut and bridge are TUSQ, and the fingerboard is Richlite. I am cool with this, as I like the stuff. It is very comfortable to play on, and reminds me of solid black ebony with no grain lines.

The Fishman (shhhh) electronics include a piezo in the bridge and a blendable imaging mic in the body. The guitar features 4 images of well-recorded acoustic guitars in a studio with very expensive microphones, and these can be blended with the piezo. The best sound to me is somewhere between a 40-60% blend of image-to-piezo for the best sound. It allows for a really loud volume-before-feedback volume, and includes a phase switch which sounds to me like a severe notch filter.

I bought this on Reverb for a good price, and it was the best sounding of the Multiac Steel models I've played and heard. This particular model isn't a current one...and I am guessing the agreement between Godin and Fishman was only a few years. The current model of Multiac Steel adds an SD Lipstick pickup, and uses an LR Baggs system. But here's the thing...the current model also uses electric strings, which really kills the sound to me.

The guitar needed a setup, and since it has a bolt-on neck, it makes it easy to shim- I am doing that this week with a full pocket shim. I also bought back buttons for the tuners, and black TUSQ bridge pins to install instead of the white plastic. It is super comfortable to play all night, and I bet I can get it to play like an electric.

It has some volume acoustically, enough for practice, but it isn't a great sound. Which is fine, since that doesn't matter to me.

I use this when I do solo instrumental shows, and duo shows. I tend to process acoustics with reverb and compression and this guitar seems the best with the mids almost totally notched out. But man, what a great sound. The low notes sound like a grand piano, and the neck is comfortable enough to play up high.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fronthead.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	5854769

Name:	backhead.jpg
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	5854768

Name:	back.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	5854766

Name:	front.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	5854767
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Re: NGD: Godin Multiac Steel Duet Ambience

Nice! Congrats on the NGD! You make a valid point about how a poor PA setup can make some great acoustic guitars sound less-than-desirable. This seems like a great solution for certain cases...
    Soundcloud

Comment

very nice! its frequently a struggle to get an accurate acoustic sound in a live situation, two mics does a fine job but thats impractical live. there are some pickup systems that do fine, and im digging the duncan active mag into a fishman loudbox, but im guessing this sounds more realistic. im assuming the new model uses electric strings due to the lipstick pup, acoustic strings dont have as much volume as electric strings using a typical pup.

Comment

Yes,the new model's electric strings make it easier for the lipstick pickup, but it doesn't really sound 'better' overall. In fact, it sounds more like a quacky piezo, which is the sound I want to avoid. Sometimes when performing, I have to use different systems, and I'd like to be able to have the most control over my initial sound as I can. So far (there hasn't been a ton of shows right now), my guitar's electronics seem to work really well for me.

Comment

very cool. i wouldnt think the lipstick would help the acoustic sound much but what do i know. how different are the four images?

Comment

Very cool! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            -=The Dali
            --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              very cool. i wouldnt think the lipstick would help the acoustic sound much but what do i know. how different are the four images?
              The 4 images add more bass and take away the mids progressively as you step through them. This is needed on a thin-bodied guitar to avoid sounding resonator-y. It is a really good system that I think they should have stuck with. I am seriously considering the nylon string model now.

Comment

Nice totally dig those guitars!
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I have recently been looking at the solid body version
                  The LGX-SA is a three-voice guitar featuring electric and acoustic guitar sounds, plus the infinite possibilities provided by synth access. The output from the bridge transducer system in the LGX-SA produces six separate signals—one for each string. This divided signal is called hexaphonic and is used to drive guitar synths. The LGX-SA's guitar synth system

What's the neck like

Is it more electric (thin C)
                  Or acoustic (thick flat)
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The neck on my guitar is more like an acoustic, with electric action. I also love the solidbody versions, although they are an electric first, and their acoustic sound isn't great compared to other acoustics. It is fine to blend in with the electric pickups.

Comment

Super solid guitars. Enjoy!
                      -=The Dali
                      --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        The neck on my guitar is more like an acoustic, with electric action. I also love the solidbody versions, although they are an electric first, and their acoustic sound isn't great compared to other acoustics. It is fine to blend in with the electric pickups.
                        Dont see Godins where I'm at
                        Would love to try one and get a feel for it
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

They are rare here, too. I had to go to NAMM to play them. The dealers in my area don't have ANY in stock, but they can order them (I can do that myself).

Comment

Beautiful! With all the electronics and the great build you've got a Canadian masterpiece.

The multiac line and the guitars without soundholes have always thrown me off but they really do sound great

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                            • G&L Tribute Comanche
                            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Sweet! Nice score. It is odd that the new ones would include a Lipstick Tube. I wouldn't normally think of one of those as an "acoustic" pup. Although, they are bright and chimey.

Comment

Working...
                              X