best 12AX7 tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best 12AX7 tube?

Groove Tubes 12AX7-M? (Mullard ECC83 copy aperently)
    Svetlana?
    JJ?
    EH?

i need 'em for a plexi, under high-gain stress of course i was planning on getting the EH ones, but i hear that Mullard were the best? so i was thinking of the Groove Tubes one. then i here the guy(s) at EuroTubes raving about the JJ's, and many people saying the Russian Svet's are the best. ugh... so many choices, such little experience LOL!

what should i load the plexi with?
    ~Billy

Re: best 12AX7 tube?

i am getting EHs soon, (hopefully order them tomorow), and my friend swapped out sovteks for EH's, and he has also tried JJ and svelenta, and he preferes EH. JJ's are knowon for power tubes, so i hear....
    Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
    Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
    Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
    Crate VC-3112
    Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
    Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Originally posted by who really cares
      Groove Tubes 12AX7-M? (Mullard ECC83 copy aperently)
      Svetlana?
      JJ?
      EH?

i need 'em for a plexi, under high-gain stress of course i was planning on getting the EH ones, but i hear that Mullard were the best? so i was thinking of the Groove Tubes one. then i here the guy(s) at EuroTubes raving about the JJ's, and many people saying the Russian Svet's are the best. ugh... so many choices, such little experience LOL!

what should i load the plexi with?
      ~Billy
      The best 12AX7s money can buy(But pricey) RCA Black Plate,Mullard,Amperex,Telefunken...Tubes from many many years ago...1 tube can cost you $80 or more..These are the best! My favorite sounding and current most reliable tubes I've tryed in an 12AX7 is the EH tube..The other tubes I Mention can be bought via E Bay and many reputable tube suppliers,but you have to be savvy and know what to get now!

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

New production I would say EH is my fave....JJ's if you want a slightly darker tone. I actually bought a NOS RTF pre-amp tube for my gain stage from www.kcanostubes.com and could not be happier. Give Mike a call, or shoot him and e-mail withy your amp type and what you're looking for. He won't automatically try to shove you into the most expensive NOS tube. In fact, I needed 5 total tubes, and I only bought 2 NOS tubes on his recommendation, the rest were current production.

I spent $40 on the RTF NOS for V1 in my JCM 800, and $30 for a JAN/GE for the clean stage V2. Great purchase.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

For Current Production, I'd say Sovtek LPS, JJ ECC83-S, and EH 12AX7. Mix them for fun results!

Comment

EH for raw ball rock and roll. The JJ's are darker. I like the grit of the EH's
            Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
            Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
            Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
            Epiphone LP Special w/JB
            Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
            Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
            1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
            Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I swapped my 12ax7wb's with 12ax7eh's because everyone was tell me they were much better.

They might be better, but I've put the WBs back and I am happy again.

I think that EH's will sound good in a dark sounding amp.
              °
              my stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Marinblues
                I swapped my 12ax7wb's with 12ax7eh's because everyone was tell me they were much better.

They might be better, but I've put the WBs back and I am happy again.

I think that EH's will sound good in a dark sounding amp.
                Try the LPS's.

Comment

I intend to try the GT Mullard reissue, but I've always use NOS or used OS. Mullard or Telefunken would be your best tube if you want to spend the bucks. If not, you can buy perfectly good used tubes at a resonable price if you look around, my amp tech has boxes of 'em. I'm using used Bugle Boys in my Marshall at the moment.

Comment

Good thing you guys have stayed away from the new Groove Tube "Mullard" RIs. As I've read from some tube fanatics over at the vintageamp forums, they are horrible. A few guys with the real Mullards compared them to GT for the heck of it and GT completely missed the mark. Can't say I'm surprised.

I use 8 JJ ECC83s and 4 Svetlana Winged C EL-34s. I want to get a RFT for the V1 slot (I realized I was a tube short when I ordered and there is still the stock Hughes & Kettner branded chinese 12ax7 there). I, too, am considering a JAN/GE tube for a bit brighter and better cleans. So many purchases to make for my amp to really sound great (right now it only sounds pretty good). Yeesh, now I need a Weber MASS and two NOS speakers... the buying never stops.
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I'm using JJ ECC83s in my amp. Really smooth, complex tones. Well, actually I have a mixture of those and NOS GE 12AT7s. But the AT7s are in spots that don't affect the tone much, reverb driver and phase inverter. The JJ's do most of the tone shaping.

Comment

I replaced my groove tube 12AX7WA's with EH 12AX7s, and i like them alot more. A more uppermidrange, biting sound to them... very nice for my style and my amp, but maybe not for you...
                        '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
                        Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
                        '66 Fender Bassman
                        Fender Champion 600
                        Fender Stage 100

Comment

2 questions for u tube junkies

1. if my amp is designed for 12ax7 and el84, and is self biasing, can i hurt it by swapping 12ax7 for ECC83 or 5751, or el84 for 6bq5 or sv83?

2. what are some good, afordable nos tubes. also, ive heard to get good tubes for V1 and V3 (phase invertor) and let v4 and v2 have not as good tubes? good used/nos tubes?
                          Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                          Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                          Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                          Crate VC-3112
                          Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                          Fender Bassman 60

Comment

The new Groove Tube 12AX7M. I haven't heard them yet, but Todd at Revolutionguitar.com is giving me a few for free! I'm putting them in my
                            Bogner this weekend. He swears it's the best 12AX7 ever made.
                            I tend to believe him. They're $23 a piece!

EI Gold Elite's and regular EI's. Forget about all the rumors of microphonics.
                            They sound great, and most dealers buy tested ones.

Sovtek 12AX7lps. They blow away every other Sovtek.

Tesla JJ's sound great, plus they're cheap.

Mullard, Telefunken, Amperex, and GE N.O.S. are considered the best,
                            but I'm starting to wonder if some of these new tubes I listed above aren't equally good, and sometimes better depending on the amp.
                            However any amp with N.O.S. tubes is going to sound optimum no matter what.
                            Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-16-2004, 09:23 PM.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

5751s and ECC83s are both 12AX7 tubes. 5751s will give you more clean headroom. I can't help you on the EL84 question, I've never owned an amp that used them. Preamp tubes don't affect bias.

As far as buying NOS or used old stock, take Jeff H's advice and give Mike a call at KCA. If you know an amp tech in your area he can probably help you out with some used tubes if you want to go that route. Just make sure he has the equipment to match the power tubes. With preamp tubes, just plug 'em in and give 'em a listen, they're either good or they ain't.

Comment

Working...
                              X