X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dali
    replied
    Re: Guitar/Bass to Case/Gigbag ratio

I agree - feels like a play to sell after-market cases.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

He had an interesting analysis... basically it’s because of Guitar Center. They have their own brand of cases (probably at a better margin than the guitar) so they pressured Fender to drop the Gigbag and lower the price a touch, that way they could sell the guitar and the case separately and make a higher overall margin.

Leave a comment:

• The Dali
    replied

I have a hardcase for every guitar. I do store mine on display on walls around the house, but I prefer to have hardcase for transport.

Interesting that he declines the case for credit, but I am guessing he has like 100 cases around his house since all his guitars are on the wall.

The ratio between gigbag and hardcase - that would be interesting. BTW, I find it even more interesting that guitar companies don't offer real hardcases for some models... the cost difference between a nice gigbag and a cheap hardcase is fairly minimal. I wonder if they make a nice profit on aftermarket sales of hardcases?

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    started a topic Guitar/Bass to Case/Gigbag ratio

Guitar/Bass to Case/Gigbag ratio

I was watching a Phil McKnight video on YouTube, someone asked why guitars at certain prices no longer come with cases or gigbags. (The answer was obvious) He mentioned that he will usually decline the case if the store can offer a credit in lieu of it. He also said that he’s got a few really nice gigbags that he will use to transport guitars if needed.

That got me thinking, a lot of us like to keep guitars on display and then have to store cases some where. Now that I don’t have a dedicated music room and store my stuff in my unfinished basement, I prefer them all to be in cases on a rack with humidity control in the basement to keep it in the appropriate range.

What is your instrument to Case or Gigbag ratio? It looks like 2/3 of my guitars have cases, and of the remainders half have gigbags and half have nothing. Those without cases are sitting on stands around the house for easy access.

How about you?
Working...
X