Guitar/Bass to Case/Gigbag ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar/Bass to Case/Gigbag ratio

I was watching a Phil McKnight video on YouTube, someone asked why guitars at certain prices no longer come with cases or gigbags. (The answer was obvious) He mentioned that he will usually decline the case if the store can offer a credit in lieu of it. He also said that he’s got a few really nice gigbags that he will use to transport guitars if needed.

That got me thinking, a lot of us like to keep guitars on display and then have to store cases some where. Now that I don’t have a dedicated music room and store my stuff in my unfinished basement, I prefer them all to be in cases on a rack with humidity control in the basement to keep it in the appropriate range.

What is your instrument to Case or Gigbag ratio? It looks like 2/3 of my guitars have cases, and of the remainders half have gigbags and half have nothing. Those without cases are sitting on stands around the house for easy access.

How about you?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: Guitar/Bass to Case/Gigbag ratio

I have a hardcase for every guitar. I do store mine on display on walls around the house, but I prefer to have hardcase for transport.

Interesting that he declines the case for credit, but I am guessing he has like 100 cases around his house since all his guitars are on the wall.

The ratio between gigbag and hardcase - that would be interesting. BTW, I find it even more interesting that guitar companies don't offer real hardcases for some models... the cost difference between a nice gigbag and a cheap hardcase is fairly minimal. I wonder if they make a nice profit on aftermarket sales of hardcases?
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

He had an interesting analysis... basically it’s because of Guitar Center. They have their own brand of cases (probably at a better margin than the guitar) so they pressured Fender to drop the Gigbag and lower the price a touch, that way they could sell the guitar and the case separately and make a higher overall margin.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I agree - feels like a play to sell after-market cases.
        -=The Dali
        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

2/3rd have gigbags (good ones), which I prefer for carrying to gigs. They are easier to get on and off the stage, easier to carry, and easier to store. I don't just pile my guitar in the back with all the gear in the van.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I keep my guitars hung on the wall for pure convenience not display purposes, even though they do look great there. I transport in hard cases only and store them in hard cases when needed. I'm not a fan of gig bags, they just don't offer any real protection besides from dust IMHO. I keep them on the wall instead of stands because they are up and out of the way and much safer there. I do have a stand though for putting whatever one on at the moment I'm playing and need to set it down while in the middle of playing it. It's much easier than hanging on the wall at that point. Storing in cases is very inconvenient for me since I have to juggle them around and remove trem bars and straps and what not. To me that's just a way to hinder me wanting to play which can be any minute, pluss my back thanks me for it. Any guitar I've ever owned if it didn't come with a hard case I get one as soon as possible. I only have 2 guitars ATM so it's not a huge deal but when I had 6 + it was ridiculous.
            Last edited by Mr. 80's; 07-23-2020, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I have cases for every one of them. All hard cases or a soft/hardshell (Dean ML case). The basses are in gig bags (one is in a Gator soft/hardshell). If I have a guitar out, it is only one. Our oldest has a Strat copy that is in a gig bag but she doesn't play it much anyway anymore. I may do some upgrades to it.

Comment

every guitar i own is in something. acoustics and set neck electrics all have a hard case, others have gigbags. most are well made, well padded bags but there are one or two that have cheaper crap.

Comment

I have two hard cases and two gig bags. This is sufficient for bringing two or three guitars to a gig or rehearsal. If guitars are stored in cases or gig bags they don't get played. Out of sight-out of mind. At home or in a practice space all guitars are on stands or wall hangers.

Comment

I currently own one more hardshell case than is necessary. I kinda kept my old Fender Deluxe P-Bass special HSC from the early 2000's even though I sold the bass. Too many stickers and places traveled to let that go.

I think orpheo told me about the MONO sleeves. I'm gonna give those a try. He is sending one with my LP bass when it is completed, hopefully sometime close to January if all goes well. Other than that, I do plan on reducing the number of HS cases I purchase with guitars in the future. I used to keep the tools and accessories for each guitar in its own HSC, but now I am going to run out space for them if I keep doing that. So, I am going to try to keep a few MONO sleeves on hand for gigging/touring/traveling/transport when purchasing new guitars in the future.

I should start storing some of the guitars I do not play every day in their cases, but I don't. I keep them out, ready to play whenever inspiration strikes, which is often. I allow the mojo dust to collect a bit but then I play the hell out of it. I even keep empty guitar racks on three different levels in case I wander around with them. I really like to play when I am not writing or cooking.
                    Soundcloud

Comment

We’ve all got guitars, how are you casing them?

By the way, I used to hate the 90’s plastic Fender cases, preferring the G&G vintage style ones. My two Elites came in the new plastic deluxe case (Maybe SKB made?) are great. Not quite as sexy as the G&G but they are solid and work fantastically.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        We’ve all got guitars, how are you casing them?

By the way, I used to hate the 90’s plastic Fender cases, preferring the G&G vintage style ones. My two Elites came in the new plastic deluxe case (Maybe SKB made?) are great. Not quite as sexy as the G&G but they are solid and work fantastically.
                        Currently all of my cases for my guitars are SKB LP style hardshell cases. I currently own one case per guitar. However, in the future, I may start buying mono sleeves because orpheo says they have a much better failure rate than HSCs.
                        Soundcloud

Comment

I hate hard cases, but have a bunch of them now. I’d rather have a bag like the cheaper PRS guitars come with for all of them.

My Gibson F-5 mandolin has the factory TKL case, but I carry it in a poly foam Gator case. It’s light enough to sit on my lap in a car, but if I was traveling with it, I’d shell out for a Carlton or Hoffee. They’re virtually indestructible.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

2/3rd have gigbags (good ones), which I prefer for carrying to gigs. They are easier to get on and off the stage, easier to carry, and easier to store. I don't just pile my guitar in the back with all the gear in the van.
                            I currently have a case for every guitar. But if I were to buy any more guitars without cases, I would probably not buy any more cases. I hang them on the wall when not playing.

I just want to add that cases with those old-fashioned style clasps are really sketchy. If you breath on the clasp, it will come open.

If I had to transport with a case like that I would put ducktape over each buckle. The modern Ibanez style are better.
                            Last edited by Top-L; 08-01-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post

I currently own one more hardshell case than is necessary. I kinda kept my old Fender Deluxe P-Bass special HSC from the early 2000's even though I sold the bass. Too many stickers and places traveled to let that go.

I think orpheo told me about the MONO sleeves. I'm gonna give those a try. He is sending one with my LP bass when it is completed, hopefully sometime close to January if all goes well. Other than that, I do plan on reducing the number of HS cases I purchase with guitars in the future. I used to keep the tools and accessories for each guitar in its own HSC, but now I am going to run out space for them if I keep doing that. So, I am going to try to keep a few MONO sleeves on hand for gigging/touring/traveling/transport when purchasing new guitars in the future.

I should start storing some of the guitars I do not play every day in their cases, but I don't. I keep them out, ready to play whenever inspiration strikes, which is often. I allow the mojo dust to collect a bit but then I play the hell out of it. I even keep empty guitar racks on three different levels in case I wander around with them. I really like to play when I am not writing or cooking.
                              I haven't seen those Mono sleeves. The last gig bag I bought is a Gator (transit series?) which was their top one. I don't think I need ones that are that tough and heavy. My guitars usually travel in the van next to me, and not stashed in the back with the heavy stuff.

EDIT: I just looked at the Mono sleeves. Those look great! I'd totally be comfortable with those.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X