No announcement yet.

Guitar/Bass to Case/Gigbag ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mono double Gigbag looks great, I was considering one before everything got locked down.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I haven't seen those Mono sleeves. The last gig bag I bought is a Gator (transit series?) which was their top one. I don't think I need ones that are that tough and heavy. My guitars usually travel in the van next to me, and not stashed in the back with the heavy stuff.

EDIT: I just looked at the Mono sleeves. Those look great! I'd totally be comfortable with those.
      Right? I had never heard of Mono sleeves before orpheo told me about them. He is sending the bass in one when it is ready and I am definitely thinking of grabbing one for my upcoming Regal.
      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        The Mono double Gigbag looks great, I was considering one before everything got locked down.
        Yeah, it looks nice and convenient.
        Soundcloud

Comment

My Kauers came in mono bags, they're nice and convenient.

I like having hard cases for everything that goes to gigs, they're harder to steal.

Comment

I figure a case isn't going to stop a thief. If they are smart, they will get what they want eventually. Good thing that at shows, the gear is rarely out of sight (and insured).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Indeed. The other thing that is changing the game is RFID technological advancement. I hate RFIDs, I am against them... except when it comes to some gear. Thieves will get caught if they ever try to take some of my best stuff in the near future. I will have the last laugh and I will press charges
              Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post
                Indeed. The other thing that is changing the game is RFID technological advancement. I hate RFIDs, I am against them... except when it comes to some gear. Thieves will get caught if they ever try to take some of my best stuff in the near future. I will have the last laugh and I will press charges
                Explain how RFIDs work for someone like me who hasn't kept up with it.

Comment

Explain how RFIDs work for someone like me who hasn't kept up with it.
                  In short, a very small, very very small microchip tracker is placed somewhere within the asset. This allows you to track the asset wherever they/it are/is. There are many companies specializing in this and eventually it will become more available to the average consumer. Right now you can get discounts if you want to track multiple assets through one company, but for the most part, it is currently used for assets more valuable than instruments because of cost. It is used a lot with human beings and items of specific interest to very wealthy individuals. It is good stuff, but welcome to the cyberpunk era.
                  Soundcloud

Comment

All hard cases.
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

In short, a very small, very very small microchip tracker is placed somewhere within the asset. This allows you to track the asset wherever they/it are/is. There are many companies specializing in this and eventually it will become more available to the average consumer. Right now you can get discounts if you want to track multiple assets through one company, but for the most part, it is currently used for assets more valuable than instruments because of cost. It is used a lot with human beings and items of specific interest to very wealthy individuals. It is good stuff, but welcome to the cyberpunk era.
                      Gotcha. So does it have to be scanned in order to track it? Or is it instant satellite tracking wherever it is? I would assume you'd be paying a monthly fee for that.

Comment

Gotcha. So does it have to be scanned in order to track it? Or is it instant satellite tracking wherever it is? I would assume you'd be paying a monthly fee for that.
                        Most of them use satellite tracking that I know of, but some companies do not disclose how they are tracking assets (for obvious reasons), but clients are given specific instructions on how they can view the tracking location at any time.

I do not know about the fee schedule. If I ever use one of the services for an instrument, I will definitely write a post about it someday in case anyone is interested. I imagine that is going to be at least a year away, if not longer. We will see how the world takes shape in the post-pandemic era, if we ever get there. It definitely is a technology that was advancing very rapidly, until the outbreak.
                        Soundcloud

Comment

RFID only works if you have a reader within a few feet of it
                          it's not like a GPS tracker or your phone that has power on it and talks to satellites and stuff

You cant track it anywhere it goes
                          You can track it to the nearest pawn shop that has a reader and reads it
                          Like bar codes it reads out a code that the pawn shop looks up in a data base that shows lost or stolen

That's the reason those things failed to catch on with Carvin guitars back in the day

EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

RFID only works if you have a reader within a few feet of it
                            it's not like a GPS tracker or your phone that has power on it and talks to satellites and stuff

You cant track it anywhere it goes
                            You can track it to the nearest pawn shop that has a reader and reads it
                            Like bar codes it reads out a code that the pawn shop looks up in a data base that shows lost or stolen

That's the reason those things failed to catch on with Carvin guitars back in the day
                            I am not sure what the newer companies are using for asset tracking then. I assumed it was RFID, but they must be using something besides RFIDs now. My point is, advanced satellite asset tracking is already here. It is only a matter of time before it becomes more affordable for the average consumer.
                            Soundcloud

Comment

I would think anything like that needs a power source to send out a signal constantly. So you either charge your guitar every other day, or the case. There has to be a better way, eventually that is affordable for most musicians.

Comment

Unless it came with a nice factory gig bag, I typically have a hard case for every guitar I own. Both my wife and I hate the fact that we have to store them, however. At least half of my guitars are hung on the wall, so the cases aren't even used for the most part, but even if I build a Warmoth partscaster, eventually I will get a case for it and keep it on reserve.

Comment

Working...
                                X