Guitar/Bass to Case/Gigbag ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
    Unless it came with a nice factory gig bag, I typically have a hard case for every guitar I own. Both my wife and I hate the fact that we have to store them, however. At least half of my guitars are hung on the wall, so the cases aren't even used for the most part, but even if I build a Warmoth partscaster, eventually I will get a case for it and keep it on reserve.
    This is kinda my dilemma minus the wife part. I have one for each, but the cases take up more space than the guitars themselves. I am currently planning on mounting 5 to 7 wall mountable hangers in my sub-basement, I just have not decided which wall mounts I want to trust $2000 to $4000 instruments in. Then, I have the complication of a Styrofoam wall that uses metal plates with traditional stud spacing. It is an unfinished basement, but the unique Styrofoam walls actually create a decent jam space.

So... do I dare trust a wall mount on these walls? And do I want to keep buying cases while running out of places to keep them?

If you ask me, the case storage dillema is a bunch of:

Soundcloud

Comment

Here's what ya do if you want to hang them. Get a nice 2x4 or 2x6, stain it a nice color, bevel the edges, whatever you want. Mount the wall hangars on that board and then mount the board to the wall in to the studs. If will not go anywhere. A buddy of mine did that in his upstairs "studio" room. Two rows in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        Here's what ya do if you want to hang them. Get a nice 2x4 or 2x6, stain it a nice color, bevel the edges, whatever you want. Mount the wall hangars on that board and then mount the board to the wall in to the studs. If will not go anywhere. A buddy of mine did that in his upstairs "studio" room. Two rows in fact.
        The Youtuber Darrell Braun has a similar setup, he’s got LED strips on the board as well. It looks very cool. If I had a dedicated room/finished basement, I’d definitely do it.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          This is a great idea, I thought of a similar approach even. I am afraid that once a few of them are hanging on the board, that the steel stud strips might not handle it over time. I am sure it will be fine, but I am so paranoid when I am not drilling into a traditional wooden stud.

Either way, I am going to try it. I could always buy some cheap guitars to test it before putting my good ones up there.

I like the idea of staining and giving it a finishing touch. I also like the idea of adding LED lights via PFDarkside. I am not a very skilled carpenter, but in theory, I love these ideas. When I try to execute them, I usually fail.
          Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
          X