banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I said I wasn't going to buy any more cheap guitars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I said I wasn't going to buy any more cheap guitars.

But I did!

I've been looking for a quality superstrat, but the vast majority of the ones I like the most are out of stock, probabaly because of Covid. There is a dearth of inventory in the 1-2K range.

Ive been itching for something new for a while now. I found a great deal on this one. (Buy something cheap to avoid buying something really expensive or having to wait another three months for what I really want.)

(Search for this guitar and you will see the deal you can get.)

I actually really like the look of it in pics, but I'm buying it sight unseen. I believe its an indo guitar so hopefully in the quality range of a Charvel or Jackson Prol.

It has a FRS and 3 piece neck, so hopefully stable. It comes with a pair of duncans, so if I don't like them, I've got something to trade.

Should be here tomorrow.

Re: I said I wasn't going to buy any more cheap guitars.

Which model is that, bought an M400 for less than $400 new, like 50% off and sight unseen, really happy with the guitar
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Its also an M-400. I'm glad you like yours!

Price is similar, nearly half.
      Last edited by Top-L; 07-23-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Yeah I really, like it a heck of a lot better than my Jackson, its my #2 fave guitar. Mine is the natural mahogany finish.

This is the one I bought
        Last edited by Hsb; 07-23-2020, 06:34 PM.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Nice! I’m not much into the pointies anymore, but still have a soft spot for an ESP with a reverse headstock.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I have no affinity for superstrats and shredsticks, but I have more than once been tempted by this exact model.

It's just such a perfect expression of a particular brand of stupid that I LOVE IT.
            ---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post

I have no affinity for superstrats and shredsticks, but I have more than once been tempted by this exact model.

It's just such a perfect expression of a particular brand of stupid that I LOVE IT.
              It appeals to my inner child.

Comment

I get it. If my wife has taken my hints (and by "hints" I mean I sent her a link and said "This is what I want for my birthday. It will sell out quickly. You should buy it right now.") I will have something equally, though differently, ridiculous to show off here come November 3rd.

Check back then for a thread I intend to title "I solemnly swear to never NOT have this in Drop-D."

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

It appeals to my inner child.
                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

I get it. If my wife has taken my hints (and by "hints" I mean I sent her a link and said "This is what I want for my birthday. It will sell out quickly. You should buy it right now.") I will have something equally, though differently, ridiculous to show off here come November 3rd.

Check back then for a thread I intend to title "I solemnly swear to never NOT have this in Drop-D."

Link?

There is a blue/white one with EMGs that is even more ridicoulous. Tempted to get that one too.

Comment

Can't. It sold out quickly. Check back in November.

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Link?

Comment

nm

Last edited by Top-L; 08-05-2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Can't. It sold out quickly. Check back in November.

But what IF your wife didn't get it for you? What if on your birthday you get a pair of socks and a gift certificate for Outback Steakhouse?

Comment

Gross. Outback is just Applebees doing a fake accent. I'm old, but I still have some standards. Also, I don't suspect I'll be any more eager to eat at a restaurant in November than I am now. What do you think happens when COVID meets the normal respiratory-illness season?

As for the guitar, meh. I already have more than I probably should.

What if on your birthday you get a gift certificate for Outback Steakhouse?

Comment

Gross. Outback is just Applebees doing a fake accent. I'm old, but I still have some standards. Also, I don't suspect I'll be any more eager to eat at a restaurant in November than I am now. What do you think happens when COVID meets the normal respiratory-illness season?

As for the guitar, meh. I already have more than I probably should.

Already sold out? It must be a Charvel.

Question is..... which one?

Comment

This guitar arrived today and I have to admit, I am amazed by the quality. (I'm not usually one to say that.)

*Body is nearly impeccable. A few tiny dust specs on the top that you can only see if a few inches away. Neck is nearly impeccable, only some minor tooling marks on the binding on the underside behind the nut.

*Neck pocket is tight without gaps on either side. Neck alignment is straight.

*Floyd Rose special is centered (sometimes the gap on one side is noticably larger) and at exactly the right height to allow lots of pull up (sometimes they are sunk too far into the body.)

*The fretwork is really good. No snags, no fret sprout, the ends are rounded well enough. These are "narrow tall" jumbos (not as wide as prestige ibanez) but taller than medium jumbo.

*Neck came straight. It plays with minor buzz in lower frets, should just need a touch of relief. (set at < 1.5mm @ 12th fret) Neck is slightly thicker than a prestige Ibanez. If I had to guess, its a 16" radius.

*Binding is flush with the neck wood all around, no gaps or imperfections.

*Pao Ferro fretboard has some color gradiation (is not dyed), but seems to be dark overall. You can't tell its not rosewood except that it has a tighter grain (or is filled).

*The Duncan Custom 5 and Jazz pickups are right up my alley. I'm sure I won't change them. The jazz is a little darker than I'm used to in the neck, but it has a nice tone. Custom 5 is a keeper.

*Abalone inlays are a nice touch if not a little dark. Ive never owned something with offset dots and this is *almost* without inlays.. you cant see them for the most part while playing.

*Volume pot is smooth and not too tight. I'd like it a touch looser, but it doesnt need a change.

My only minor negative impression is that the 24th fret access is not quite as smooth as an AANJ. Also, when playing the upper frets, the offset dots arent giving me the cues that I'm used to. These will just take a little time to get used to. Also the fade from orange to yellow happens around the neck pickup instead of between the pickups. There seems to be variation between individual guitars.

Will add some relief and change the FRS tone block to an OFR one (although it sounds solid as is).

Guitar has an "inspected in USA" sticker. Floyd Rose looks like it has a ballpark intonation (the saddles werent in the "stock" locations.) Everything was packaged new, had never been opened. I was worried that because of the low price, this might be a B-stock, customer return, or a first batch run from China. Nope, its an A quality Indo guitar. If you even halfway like the finish on this guitar and need a backup, its a steal at the price.

My overall impression of this guitar is that its on par with Charvel and Jackson Pro, except it has a FRS instead of a 1000 series.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Top-L; 07-25-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X