Played a JCM800 combo today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a JCM800 combo today...

Today I went to a local shop to see if I could sell an effects board I don't use anymore. While I was there I saw a JCM800 combo, so I decided to check it out. For the most part I did like what this amp had to offer. Very warm crunchy tones, however I had to crank the pre-amp anywhere between 8 and 10 to get the sound I wanted. Then when I would turn the power amp up, I felt it would be too loud for home use. Overall I was pleased that I got to play it since I haven't been able to find one. It's got that great Marshall sound that I do miss, however I keep getting stuck on favoring higher gain amps. Please don't think I'm putting this amp down at all, I'm not...just don't think this is the amp I'm after.
    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Re: Played a JCM800 combo today...

I used to have the Model 4101 combo... basically a 2204 (50w single channel) with a 2x12 built onto it. Nailed that classic Marshall tone (brown-sound approved) but an attenuator was mandatory and the cleans were kinda blase. Nevertheless I enjoyed it but I needed more versatility. Mig-50 has the amp now and loves it.

Comment

The model I played was a 50 watt 2x12. I'm guessing I played the 4101 then. Yeah an attenuator would've help with this amp, maybe I would have like it a bit more if I could have cranked it more.
      -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
      Vox VT15
      Washburn D10SCE
      Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

cool. thanks for the review. and dont say your sorry, its your opinion!
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

It's funny, a lot of people plug into Plexis, JCM800s and JMPs and expect to hear Eddie Van Halen automatically coming out of the amp, and a lot of them dont realize that that sound CAN be produced from those amps, but only under a few very specific setups.

...not saying StratTom did that, it's just something I observe from time to time and was reminded of. The JCM800's are very raw-sounding; a good basic building block for tone.

Comment

Working...
          X