Guitar Pilgramige: Music Machine!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Pilgramige: Music Machine!!

Haven't been around much lately, but I finally got my computer fixed after the William Hung video thing that infected alot of our computers and had to tell you guys about the pilgramage I made today. I got up this morning and decided to go on a road trip to check out guitars. Left home and made my first stop at Boogie Man music in Ellensburg Wa. Great little town, and great Fender dealership. I tried out a Dean EVO goldtop with p-90s, a Dillion that looked like a 56 RI goldtop, and a L.P. special with stacked p-100s. All pretty nice, but liked the dillion the most. The L.P. was used and a little beat with marginal action, but I will keep a mental note of where it is at.
    I left Ellensburg heading for Kennewick WA with the goal possibly trying out the Joe Perry "Bone Yard" Les Paul. I got there and made it to the store around 01:00. The staff there were real friendly. A younger "kid" (he was about 18 or 19) there started giving me the rundown on the types of guitars there. Valley Arts, some Fenders, Martins, Epiphones, and Gibsons (USA and Custom Shop). I had never really known the difference between USA and Custom shop Gibsons. I thought a Custom Shop was a Fancy USA. NOT SO. they are different divisions of gibson and are made in different areas. They actually had a '57 custom shop that didn't meet specs and was cut right down the middle so one could see the wood and neck joint and such. there was another L.P. that was strung up and such, but you could change out the pups from behind and try out different pups. COOL!! Jolly needs that L.P., then he wouldn't need so many. So Kramer, (the kid) shows me a few rooms and there are maybe 40 or so electrics. I asked him about the '56 reissues, and the Joe Perry L.P. that they have on their website. he points to one ('56) hanging behind the counter, the he says "I think there are a few more downstairs" So down we go.
    We go downstairs, and I was blown away!! There were cases upon cases upon cases, then more rooms with more cases. I asked about the boneyard. He looked around then went to look at an inventory of the guitars that are at the dallas guitar show. He looked some more then found one. http://www.guitarsale.com/frontend/P...?ProductID=343 this guitar was really great. I tried it out on a super reverb. granted these guitars that I tried were brand new, with no setup and needed the their nuts smoothed out a bit, but they were all great guitars. Fret edges were smooth, action was good. the only complaint was that the nuts were tight, and would do that "tink" thing when tuning. So anyway back to the boneyard. bridge position great! Authoritative, and not overly trebley. Neck, Smooth with nice midrange. Middle position........funky, in a good way. the middle position sounded like a thick single coil with a wah half c-o-c-ked. Just a touch of Nasal tone. continued
    Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
    gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
    SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Re: Guitar Pilgramige: Music Machine!!

So anyway......I ask about the '56s we look at a few different ones. He askes me about my les paul and it's neck and if I like 50s or 60's necks. i tell him I have a slim taper neck, but I am starting to gravitate toward the fatter necks. then he asks it I like flame tops or quilt or solid colors. I tell him I usually gravitate toward flame tops. he tells me about different maple tops (eastern vs western) and such as he is pulling out a few cases. he pulls out these guitars.

Again, great guitars. first impression was QUALITY! No rough edges, no finish flaws. Nothing like that. Just tight nuts, and they get a pro setup before you get them, nut job and the whole bit. At this point I was feeling weak in the knees. tonally the guitars were great. No big differences between the three. Next I went to the '57 goldtops and such.

After trying these, I forgot about the '56s. Now on these ones, they all felt good, but they didn't sound the same. they all sounded great, but they definatly had different voices. The darkback was very articulate, and chimey. String to string definition was great. I fell in love with one of lightback goldtops. the guitar beckoned me to play when I held it. It made me play things I didn't know I knew how to play. It wasn't as chimey as the darkback, but it has a melting tone. String bending and vibrato sounded unbelievable with this guitar. heavy blues was this guitars forte'. As with most les pauls they all sounded great clean. On to the next one.
    I asked about chambered les pauls and he went and got one.

It sounded different than all of the previous ones. It most definately had a different tonality on the lower strings. Clear and deep. Sounded great in a dropped D tuning due to the clarity in tone. Cont'd
    Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
    SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

Alright, i consider myself a pretty grounded, solid person but at this point i am a bit shaken, and overwhelmed. At this point he wanted me to try the "Holy Grail" the '59.

All of these guitars were impecable. Any one of them would be great to have. Tonally they were similar. There were different types in as much as that there were the authentic aged, the "real-feel" and plain reissue. The reel feel line were cool. They are based off of a reissue guitar that tom murphy modified with a slightly V'd neck. So, they all have a cool feeling necks. Broken in feeling. that was about all i could take. Mentally I don't think I could play another guitar. There were HUNDREDS (well I would guess over 200) of guitars down there. All of them pristine beautiful guitars. that place was like a king tut's tomb for guitar players.
      I went up stairs and looked at a few of the guitars hanging here and there. He pulled out another guitar that they had recently recieved. Here it is. http://www.guitarsale.com/frontend/P...?ProductID=509

this guitar Blew me away!! It was the new SLASH signature pilot run #002. I tried it out through a JCM 2000. the guitar is a friggin ROCK MACHINE. here are the Specs. http://www.gibsoncustom.com/Signature/slash.htm

the guitar felt like an old 50's gibson i had in as much as that the finish felt old, and it was a little hazy and checked. It has a fishman power bridge and you could blend the piezo with the S.D. alnico pro II pups. By the way they are a pup that I have never tried before, but rest assured that I will!! When blending the two it almost had a resonator tone, which sounded great overdriven played with a slide. I really liked this guitar.

that was about it. Went and looked at a few of the provate collection of vintage and unusual guitars. One of which was the prototype for the Hendrix flying V. Cool stuff!! if anyone is in the are, that is a must vist place!

Comment

.................and you escaped with nothing tucked under your arm and your credit card intact

Brave man indeed and nice to hear that your pc has been sorted out!!
        Normans Guitars

Comment

Makes you wonder how you'd do as a millionaire. Some of us would get outta
          hand with a real budget for "real" guitars. Imagine shopping for a $25,000
          guitar, and actually buying it!
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

It really blew me away. At one point with he guitar I was holding and all of the guitars around me on the floor that I was trying, there was well over $70,000 dollars worth of guitars there. and that was just the ones around me at the time. I couldn't have bought one at that point, I wouldn't have known which one to choose. There were 2 I REALLY liked. My wife said I couldn't go there alone anymore. When I was recounting the trip she said I had a crazed, manic look in my eyes. I easily could have spent 6-7,000 yesterday without blinking. It's funny you mention the lottery thing. I told my wife if we ever won the lottery, I wanted to open a store like that. she laughed 'cause she said I would never sell them. She said I would have to open a guitar "museam".

Comment

I get on their website alot and look around. I don't think it'd be a very smart choice for me if I went there in person....lol

Comment

Wow... you have balls to walk in and ask to try those models

They all look fantastic, especially that P90 one
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by 54stratlover
                  It really blew me away. At one point with he guitar I was holding and all of the guitars around me on the floor that I was trying, there was well over $70,000 dollars worth of guitars there. and that was just the ones around me at the time. I couldn't have bought one at that point, I wouldn't have known which one to choose. There were 2 I REALLY liked. My wife said I couldn't go there alone anymore. When I was recounting the trip she said I had a crazed, manic look in my eyes. I easily could have spent 6-7,000 yesterday without blinking. It's funny you mention the lottery thing. I told my wife if we ever won the lottery, I wanted to open a store like that. she laughed 'cause she said I would never sell them. She said I would have to open a guitar "museam".
                  Next time you plan on going to this store give a couple of us a call and we'll get the tank ready so that we can held you escape with all of the guitars - and then let you keep the two that you want, it's the least we can do for you. All we ask is give us at least 48 hours notice, so that we can get the tank loaded, the guys ready and then
                  Normans Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                    Wow... you have balls to walk in and ask to try those models

They all look fantastic, especially that P90 one
                    Originally I just wanted to look at them, but the guy there was like "Here, try this one!" and he took me over to the amp. This went on for over an hour, and the guitars kept coming until I couldn't take anymore. The guys there were ULTRA COOL. This was no guitar center. These guys basically deal in Gibsons, and they like doing what they do. Very knowledgable people. the guy there kept referencing a book called "Beauty and the Burst" i will have to get that book. I guess the '59 gibson that the Stingers are based off of is in that book. it's the owners guitar. i think I am going to save up 3-5000 bones go down there and head to the basement, i won't come up till I find the one I want.

Comment

You are a better man than I, what willpower. I'd have snapped like a twig and this would have a new home -

or maybe this one

yeah definitely this one would be mine.
                      Last edited by Wattage; 04-16-2004, 02:01 PM.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

IM in love with that bone yard axe! and the slash les paul looks SWEEEEEEET!
                        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
                        X