Marshall Powerbrake vs. THD hotplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Powerbrake vs. THD hotplate

Ok, so I'm coming to a conclusion...if I'm gonna get a tube amp, I think I may need to get an attenuator. Which of these is the better buy...the Marshall powerbrake or the THD hotplate. I'm not familar with THD at all so I would really like some feedback on it. I was on the THD site and read that the hotplates have a noise reduction built in, which I think, is a big plus. Also the I've only seen the marshall in a 100watt, which means it won't be good for a 5150, correct? Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom
    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Re: Marshall Powerbrake vs. THD hotplate

I have a THD Hotplate and I really like it. It gives plenty of good tone. There's some signal degradidation when you start to attenuate over 16db, but there's not much you can do about it no matter what attenuator your using. It also has tone controls that allow you to "fix" your signal by bleeding through some extra bass and/or highs. Lastly, it has a parallel line out so that you can run your cab(s) and run a feed to the board at the same time, or use it as a load device and use it as a DI box.

It's good for amps up to 180w.

I did alot of reasearch before buying this, and everything (and in all seriousness I do mean everything) I read recommended it over the Powerbrake.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
      I have a THD Hotplate and I really like it. It gives plenty of good tone. There's some signal degradidation when you start to attenuate over 16db, but there's not much you can do about it no matter what attenuator your using. It also has tone controls that allow you to "fix" your signal by bleeding through some extra bass and/or highs. Lastly, it has a parallel line out so that you can run your cab(s) and run a feed to the board at the same time, or use it as a load device and use it as a DI box.

It's good for amps up to 180w.

I did alot of reasearch before buying this, and everything (and in all seriousness I do mean everything) I read recommended it over the Powerbrake.

EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID! Well, not exactly...I've got a THD UniValve which has a built in Hot Plate. Let's just say that 15watts is amazing when completely saturated. The noise reduction is a great option...there is a big difference with it on/off.

I've never used the Marshall, but I hear it's good as is the Weber Mass...they sure don't make it easy! I see a lot of the HotPlates on "Fleabay"....maybe ask those sellers why they're getting rid of them. Might give you a little insight before parting with your hard earned cash!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

The Power Brake is long past it's day as the best attenuator. Plus in the past 4 or five months I have seen 3 people that have had the PB go up in a puff of smoke with 100 watt Marshalls. It has lots of tonal color and three going up in smoke in a few months is way to much for me to want to mess with it.
        Personally I like the Mass better than the THD, I think the THD adds more color at quieter levels than the Mass ( both still will add color) the Mass is much better on the price point and Ted Weber is an extremely nice guy who was excellent in his communication with me. I have owned it for a yr and a 1/2 used it daily and still love it. Plus the switchable OHM option is a huge plus over the single ohm option on the THD.
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I like the THD unit a lot. It works extremely well for quieting those 100W beasts.
          Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Ive heard nothing but great things about the hotplate.
            My Soundclick page.

Comment

Yes, go with a THD plus I the PB sucks tone like crazy.
              Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be checking out the hotplate. Any sites online that sell them, other than ebay. Just want to know how much they run new.
                -Tom

Vox VT15
                Washburn D10SCE

Comment

The Best Vacuum Tubes: Power tubes and preamp tubes matched for any guitar amp or stereo tube amplifier. Not sure which tube you need? Let us help you.

It's where I got mine. They were selling them for about just over $100CDN (about $80 or so US) cheaper than Songbird Music in Toronto.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                    http://www.thetubestore.com/thdproducts.html

It's where I got mine. They were selling them for about just over $100CDN (about $80 or so US) cheaper than Songbird Music in Toronto.
                    Thanks for the link screamingdaisy. Looks like they go for about $280. Not a bad price, but I still don't know what I'm getting and how much it will run me in the end. Thanks again.
                    -Tom

Vox VT15
                    Washburn D10SCE

Comment

Hey man, Mrid is selling a weber mass on the trading post for about 100 less, check it out..
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3
                      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
                        Hey man, Mrid is selling a weber mass on the trading post for about 100 less, check it out..
                        Thanks y2stevo. I did see his post in the trading post but doesn't the weber mass only handle 100 watts. If I were to get a 5150 for example which is 120 watts, I would overload the attenuator correct?
                        -Tom

Vox VT15
                        Washburn D10SCE

Comment

I've got a Powerbrake that's been working fine for 20 years, sounds good as long as you don't use too much attenuation, but if I had to replace it I'd go with something new.

Comment

actually i was on the weber mass site and i think unless i was seeing things it said it can handle a max of 120watts. but i cud have been seeing things..
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3
                            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
                            X