My band mate just bought a Fender Cyber Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My band mate just bought a Fender Cyber Twin

The other guitarist in my band was looking to downsize to a combo and really fancied a Line 6 Flextone III. However we tried a Cyber Twin and wow!! This really is a nice amp. Plus he got a great deal - ex demo model for £599 (they mormally retail for £1199!!!!!).
    Any body else try/own one of these babys??
    GUITARS
    STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
    AMPS
    Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Re: My band mate just bought a Fender Cyber Twin

Originally posted by Rocker35
    The other guitarist in my band was looking to downsize to a combo and really fancied a Line 6 Flextone III. However we tried a Cyber Twin and wow!! This really is a nice amp. Plus he got a great deal - ex demo model for £599 (they mormally retail for £1199!!!!!).
    I've had my Cyber Twin for over 2 years now,have gigged and rehearsed with it alot...Have had 0 problems with it..Consistent great tone,plenty of volume and power,the effects are great and the amp is very versatile and lighweight! Would never part with mine,plus it records great straight to your recorder...

Have your buddy get 2 RCA 12AX7s(E Bay) to put into his Cyber Twin and get a better,fuller overall tone from his CT...That's what I'm using in mine...Get ahold of me for any CT questions as I'm pretty well versed in this amp!

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Thanks John,
      I thought you had one but wasn't sure. If he has any probs/questions, I'll give you a holler
      GUITARS
      STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
      AMPS
      Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Thanks John,
        I thought you had one but wasn't sure. If he has any probs/questions, I'll give you a holler
        Here's how I use my CT overall...
        I Use an Ernie Ball Mono volume pedal hooked into the expression pedal jack of the CT...This pedal "only" controls Master volume...

I use a Digitech Control 8 connected to the MIDI In jack that does two things..
        1)It allows for my parameter toggle switching and I only use 2 total banks of presets...1 actually can get me through an entire night...
        2)I Use the expression pedal on the COntrol 8 to control 1 effects parameter on the fly..In other words I can change delay level from 0 to max or delay time etc..via the expression pedal...I don't use the CT FC because I bought my C8 before the CT controller ever existed..Plus the CTFC is heavy and pricy....

I also will use a variety of pedals straight into my CT with a copy I made of my BF 66 Fender Pro Reverb amp...I have the ability of using just straight CT sounds or I can use my pedals through a nice clean preset with reverb..This amp has totally solved alot of issues I had in the past of trying to cop certain tones...It doesn't do the Marshall thing as well but if you run the right pedals into a great sounding clean preset,you can get the right vibe..The Fender presets are really what this amp is all about...Don't let your friend only get stuck on the factory presets because once you start dialing different things up on this amp,it's just an amazing amp! Some or most of the factory presets in my opinion are pretty lame and I always choose to use my ears and what sounds great to me to dial up good presets....

Lastly..I was very instrumental early on about sending my CT presets over the Fender Discussion Forums and here's a link to some great CT presets your buddy can copy...Notice the first ones from STRATDELUXER were sent by me and I still use most of these presets today with some slight tweaks here and there..Have fun and please contact me if I can help you further...Great amp..Tell your buddy he's a lucky guy to own it!

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Here's the RCA 12AX7s I use in my Cyber Twin

OR

Comment

Wow if I may say that is a great price for a Cyber Twin (£599) are you sure that there isn't something missing , because it is a steal.

Sorry guys but this is a UK thing - did fancy getting one but was not prepared to pay the silly sort of prices they are retailing for.
            Normans Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
              Wow if I may say that is a great price for a Cyber Twin (£599) are you sure that there isn't something missing , because it is a steal.

Sorry guys but this is a UK thing - did fancy getting one but was not prepared to pay the silly sort of prices they are retailing for.
              I Hear ya buddy...Come on over to my house here in florida and we'll get together and purchase you a Cyber Twin..How much for me to ship one to you if you gave me the money and had me buy it for you buddy?
              I Met the ex-bass player from BeBop Deluxe that used to come here to Florida to buy his gear and than take it back to the UK with him..He said Vox and Marshall amps were cheaper to buy over here than where you are..Maybe one of us in the states could help a brother out? I'd gladly ship it to you if it saved you some money..

John

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                I Hear ya buddy...Come on over to my house here in florida and we'll get together and purchase you a Cyber Twin..How much for me to ship one to you if you gave me the money and had me buy it for you buddy?
                I Met the ex-bass player from BeBop Deluxe that used to come here to Florida to buy his gear and than take it back to the UK with him..He said Vox and Marshall amps were cheaper to buy over here than where you are..Maybe one of us in the states could help a brother out? I'd gladly ship it to you if it saved you some money..

John
                John,

I hear you and many thanks for the very kind and gracious offer. The last time I was quoted shipping for Mesa Boogie combo amps that I was interested in (Nomads 55s & F50) - I know it's not a Fender but just to give you an indication of my experience - was it would cost the same price as the amps itself and I then would have to pay customs duty on them - I am talking 2 of the Nomads and 1 of the F50s. Cost for shipping one of the amps was coming out to $400 + customs duty ($375) - ridculous!! I managed to source one of my Nomads from the distributor directly in the UK and got a fairly good deal there. I have also got a possible deal going down with them later in the year to let me have a couple of F50s as well.

If I holiday in Florida (this does depends on the wife and kids) this year, I am going to look you up and come with an empty suitcase so that I can take some goodies back with me. I am due in New York either in July or September but am waiting confirmation buit will let you know.

Norman
                Normans Guitars

Comment

John,

I hear you and many thanks for the very kind and gracious offer. The last time I was quoted shipping for Mesa Boogie combo amps that I was interested in (Nomads 55s & F50) - I know it's not a Fender but just to give you an indication of my experience - was it would cost the same price as the amps itself and I then would have to pay customs duty on them - I am talking 2 of the Nomads and 1 of the F50s. Cost for shipping one of the amps was coming out to $400 + customs duty ($375) - ridculous!! I managed to source one of my Nomads from the distributor directly in the UK and got a fairly good deal there. I have also got a possible deal going down with them later in the year to let me have a couple of F50s as well.

If I holiday in Florida (this does depends on the wife and kids) this year, I am going to look you up and come with an empty suitcase so that I can take some goodies back with me. I am due in New York either in July or September but am waiting confirmation buit will let you know.

Norman
                  I'd love to hook up with you buddy...I'll just be sure to tie all of my goodies to something really solid! I think I'm pretty safe with my lefty stuff at least?

So Norman...Unless you can actually get what you want within the UK,it isn't worth it right? Because of the customs and the jacked up shipping prices to you? No one near you sells the Fender product because it's an american company then? Guess I take some of what we have and are able to get,for granted.. If you get to the West Coast of florida,you look us up..

John

Comment

Make sure he gets a roadcase or Tuki padded cover! Also, tell him to wrap his cable around the handle before inserting it into the input jack. They use a cheap plastic barrel jack that will easily break the first time he accidentally steps on the cord.
                    If you do what stratdeluxer said and use better than stock pretubes, you'll ensure that it sounds as good as it can. And also program the amp without effects, to get the actual tone right, before adding anything, then go subtle. Most people don't take the time to dial in the tones to sound like a tube amp. If you do, the amp sounds a whole lot more realistic in a band setting. Everytime I've plugged into a modeling amp in the store and used the factory presets, I had to keep myself from gagging. They're complex machines.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Yeah, It's a cracking deal - all in working order (albeit a little dusty). Only things missing were the cover, which has been ordered for him (he's getting a flight case anyway) and the English version of the manual (eh??!!??), which we've downloaded from the Fender website.
                      GUITARS

AMPS

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                        Make sure he gets a roadcase or Tuki padded cover! Also, tell him to wrap his cable around the handle before inserting it into the input jack. They use a cheap plastic barrel jack that will easily break the first time he accidentally steps on the cord.
                        If you do what stratdeluxer said and use better than stock pretubes, you'll ensure that it sounds as good as it can. And also program the amp without effects, to get the actual tone right, before adding anything, then go subtle. Most people don't take the time to dial in the tones to sound like a tube amp. If you do, the amp sounds a whole lot more realistic in a band setting. Everytime I've plugged into a modeling amp in the store and used the factory presets, I had to keep myself from gagging. They're complex machines.
                        One of the good things about this amp is that it has a bank of factory presets which are pure amp tones (no effects), so you can build your tones from there. Neither of us are big on effects - a touch of 'verb, a sprinkling of delay and a bit of chorus here and there and we're up and running.
                        GUITARS

AMPS

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                          Great info gearjoneser...I went a step further and took the wires that go to both of my CT's Celestions and put 2 input jacks into my amp so I could run it into my V30 Marshall 4x12 stereo cabinet..I put plugs onto the speaker connected ends and jacks up above and into the bottom of my CT's chassis..All I do is unplug the stock speakers and connect the cabinet to the jacks..I still use the stock CT cover for my amp but I'm very careful and so far I've still got a brand new looking amp and cabinet considering mine was bought in 2001...And yes..If you don't spend time exploring,moving knobs,changing settings,adding and tweaking effects parameters etc..then you're missing out on any knowledge and capabilities of this amp and great tone control..and tonal possibilities..

John

Comment

Here's how I use my CT overall...
                            I Use an Ernie Ball Mono volume pedal hooked into the expression pedal jack of the CT...This pedal "only" controls Master volume...

I use a Digitech Control 8 connected to the MIDI In jack that does two things..
                            1)It allows for my parameter toggle switching and I only use 2 total banks of presets...1 actually can get me through an entire night...
                            2)I Use the expression pedal on the COntrol 8 to control 1 effects parameter on the fly..In other words I can change delay level from 0 to max or delay time etc..via the expression pedal...I don't use the CT FC because I bought my C8 before the CT controller ever existed..Plus the CTFC is heavy and pricy....

I also will use a variety of pedals straight into my CT with a copy I made of my BF 66 Fender Pro Reverb amp...I have the ability of using just straight CT sounds or I can use my pedals through a nice clean preset with reverb..This amp has totally solved alot of issues I had in the past of trying to cop certain tones...It doesn't do the Marshall thing as well but if you run the right pedals into a great sounding clean preset,you can get the right vibe..The Fender presets are really what this amp is all about...Don't let your friend only get stuck on the factory presets because once you start dialing different things up on this amp,it's just an amazing amp! Some or most of the factory presets in my opinion are pretty lame and I always choose to use my ears and what sounds great to me to dial up good presets....

Lastly..I was very instrumental early on about sending my CT presets over the Fender Discussion Forums and here's a link to some great CT presets your buddy can copy...Notice the first ones from STRATDELUXER were sent by me and I still use most of these presets today with some slight tweaks here and there..Have fun and please contact me if I can help you further...Great amp..Tell your buddy he's a lucky guy to own it!

John
                            Thanks again John.

I here what your saying about the Fender controller. It retails here for £375!!! (about $700)
                            GUITARS

AMPS

Comment

If you get to the West Coast of florida,you look us up..

John
                              If he makes it, drop me a PM ahead of time. If he's going to come all the way across the pond, the least I could do is drive down to Tampa to share a "pint" with one of our international buds. (If I'm not out-of-state, at the time.)

BTW - I wonder if customs is different if he buys "parts". Like a couple Cyber-Twin speakers, a chassis, a cabinet . . . nod, nod, wink, wink.

Comment

Working...
                              X