banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you use a condenser to close mic amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you use a condenser to close mic amp?

It seems that the normal way to mic a guitar amp in the studio is to use a dynamic mic up close and then a condenser further back.

But would it work if I just stuck the condensor next to the grill cloth of the amp in place of the dynamic mic?

For a single close mic setup, would a dynamic mic or a condenser mic sound better?

Re: can you use a condenser to close mic amp?

Depends on a couple of things. First, it depends on how large of an amp you're talking about and how loud you're going to play. Some mics are made specifically for high spl levels, some are not. Dynamics, like the Shure SM57, are made for high spl situations. What I've seen and used in the studio for high spl situations is either a dynamic or Royer makes a really nice ribbon mic that works well when micing loud guitar amps.

Comment

Condensor mics break up way too easy in front of 99% of the amps out there, so I don't think they're realistic to be honest.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Over the years, I've found that in a close mic setup, a dynamic mic gets you the best reproduction (SM57's or 58's shine in that aspect). However (and you knew there'd be a "however", didn't you?), I have managed to capture really nice guitar tones with a small condenser mic that Shure made in the 80's called a Prologue (I don't even think they're made anymore, though I might be wrong, looks like a mag light) and AKG makes an absolutely dynamite small condenser in the C1000S, and it's tough to fault the capabilities of the newer KSM series of Shure mics or AT condensers. The thing is, you don't want to put a condenser mic anywhere that you wouldn't want to put your own ear (they just can't handle the sound pressure), so you can rule out placing one in front of a screaming Marshall.
        If you have only one mic but want to add some depth, you can try using a DI box and mixing the two tones. It takes a little bit longer for the sound to get to the recorder via the mic via the speaker as opposed to getting it there via cable (Don't ask me the exact amount--it's something like 1 millisecond per foot (we're talking speaker to mic here), so that will give you a little bit of depth, though it seems to be more pronounced with bass. Or, you can use the DI as your main signal and use the other mic as a room mic to give you even more depth. There are no right answers, but these are things that I've had some luck with over the last 20 years. Hope that helps.
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Stick with the 57
          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Close micing with a condenser is more like 12 inches, not on the grill.
            I found the B.L.U.E. Dragonfly to be the best condenser for close micing.
            Like a dumbass I sold it. You'd think condensers would sound better, but they usually
            have a washier sound than a 57 or Sennheiser 421 right on the speaker.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

All of my recordings feature a close Audix dynamic mic in the left channel and a Marshall condenser mic in the right channel. Like gearjonser said, it works best 12-18 inches from the speaker. It can't handle anything closer than that. The combination of the two mics produces a very full sound with more of the high frequencies coming from the condenser. I say, use it if you like it.
              (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X