banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GT Chinese 6550C vs. GT Svetlana 6550C ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Chinese 6550C vs. GT Svetlana 6550C ???

Ive been researching tubes for my ENGL and a lot of people have been telling me to get the Svetlana 6550C for the power section of my amp. This sounded good, but im just reading up on these and there is also a chinese 6550C which is supposed to distort quicker, the coke bottle shaped GT 6550C.

Are these chinese ones any good compared to the svetlanas?

What are your opinions on which tube would go better in my ENGL Savage 120?
    My Soundclick page.

Re: GT Chinese 6550C vs. GT Svetlana 6550C ???

As a rule I try to avoid Chinese power tubes because they tend to lack headroom in addition to being "muddy" or "squishy" sounding. As a matter of fact, I don't care for Chinese pre-amps either. They typically have higher gain than their Russian counterparts, but they're more microphonic and less durable.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Get the Svetlana's !!!!!!!!!
      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I'll back the anti-chinese tube sentiments as well...

Comment

I'd go with JJ KT88's.

Comment

Im actually pretty close to going for the JJ KT88's as supplied and suggested by Bob at eurotubes and some of you guys like Mrid here, they sound like a warmer tube than the Svet....thats what Bob said anyway.
            My Soundclick page.

Comment

I'd choose the JJ's over the Svetlana's over the Chinese. I haven't tried JJ's yet though. I'm going to after my set of EH's wear out. I've been told by numerous people that the JJ's lack the upper midrange peak Russian tubes can have, it's very noticeable in my amp, that "spike"
              ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

I use the JJ pre's, and Svetlana Power( 6550's ). Plenty warm and powerful !!!! I use these in my 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 Heads. Great combination, IMO.
                Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
                X