Poly/Tung Oil - Finish Question/Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly/Tung Oil - Finish Question/Suggestions

I recently bought a set of these for my Dean Hardtail: (the pics don't do justice to the grain on the rings)

Flame Maple Rings

Since the Hardtail has a high gloss finish, my first thought was to use a wipe on poly to build up 3-4 high gloss coats. However, the luthier who made them suggested a tung oil finish. I can do either, and the surface prep is already done. These rings are sanded down to 800 grit and ready to finish.

Which do you think will look better? The tung oil will have more of a matt look vs the poly.
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-17-2004, 11:27 AM.
    My Sound Clips

Re: Poly/Tung Oil - Finish Question/Suggestions

Hmm........either way would look nice, but for some reason Im envisioning the matt finish looking realy good.

By the way........Im not sure if I've told you this already, but that is a REAL NICE dean you have there.

Comment

IŽd apply a few coats of Tung oil, not just one. Then you can polish them to a nice sheen
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Those rings look great - I'd have to say the tung oil finish would just add that bit of class to a super guitar.
        Normans Guitars

Comment

Just realize tung oil wears fairly quickly so you'll likely re-do it on a somewhat regular basis if you play the guitr a lot.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

On any nicely figured wood, oil will bring out the beauty. Tung will work, but if durability is an issue, poly will out last it. You could easily use Danish oil (natural color) to pop the flame, let it dry and apply as instructed on the can for a clear finish. After a few days make sure it's not sticky and do your poly top coat...the poly will bring out even more depth. Poly can be found in satin or gloss also. Good luck...nice stuff.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
            Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
            Celestion speakers
            Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
            Too many pedals....

Comment

Good tip didn't think about that. The Watco Natural Danish Oil can be had in near any paint shop too.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I've heard wipe-on poly works as well as tung-oil while being harder (it still soaks in) and I've known Maple to not be the best for Tung oil. LOL. I do like Tung Oil though. I think you can make a blend actually, forgot how.
                ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Ok - I decided agains't the tung oil because I didn't want to continually have to re-apply the finish. I went to the hardware store and bought some wipe on poly. Couldn't get a smooth finish by either wiping or with a small brush. There were always lines that I couldn't sand smooth. Tried some self leveling poly....no luck either. Though briefly about dipping them they way I used to when I refinished golf clubs in the old days...decided against that as well.

What did you finally do Jeff, you ask? Lightly sanded the previous poly I had tried off with 0000 steel wool and.......

Used a can of clear spray lacquer I've had in the garage for 2+ yrs. $12 dollars on 2 different types of poly and a damn $2.99 can of spray lacquer is the answer.

Simple is better I guess. Live and learn. I'll post pics once I get the coats built up and the rings installed on the guitar.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

Oh well, you can save em for other projects. They might have needed a little bit of thinner added.
                    ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Jeff,

Post some pics of the finished product for our saliva glands.

I have a tung oil back of the neck, maple at that, that will get much more ware than the pup rings. I maybe re apply tung oil once a year, I think, if that. I clean it with lemon oil, when I clean the rest of my guitar, that keeps it sealed enough to not have warpage probs. Can't beat the feel of a tung oil neck.
                      Bridge pups: Full Shred-Custom-DD
                      Neck pups: '59-Aph1-DD

Comment

Working...
                      X