Putting grille cloth on Avatar 4x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting grille cloth on Avatar 4x12

Hey guys I have an Avatar slanted 4x12 with the carpet and metal grille. I have some new black grille cloth that I want to put on it, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. If anybody could tell me how to do it I'd be very appreciative!
    Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 Head!
    Avatar 4x12 Slant Cab w/ 2 V12's and 2 GB12's
    Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan Custom
    Fender Std. Strat w/ Invader

Re: Putting grille cloth on Avatar 4x12

Funny concept....only since I have the Avatar 2X12 with the grill clothe and have been thinking about putting the metal grille on.

Anyways, I checked out my Avatar and it appears that he did nothing more than construct a frame and wrap the cloth around that. From there he inserted the frame to the front of the cabinet and attached.
    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
    various pedals

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but im not sure what to unscrew to get the front of my cab off to wrap the cloth around. There's screws to hold the steel grille on and ones to hold the input jack and corner protectors but nothing to get the frame off.
      Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 Head!
      Avatar 4x12 Slant Cab w/ 2 V12's and 2 GB12's
      Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan Custom
      Fender Std. Strat w/ Invader

Comment

Sounds like some mods will be needed. Most metal grille cabs won't have a 'frame' like grille cloth cabs...most times the cloth is stapled directly to the speaker board...like old Fenders. At least 3/4" ply will be needed and a horzontal wood 'stretcher' across the middle of the cab will be needed to bring the cloth to make a sharp 'crease' across and keep the cloth from caving in or looking flat. If you lived here, I'd help ya build it, I used to build custom upholstered furniture and this would be a simple project, if you know anyone who does woodwork, that would be a start. You'll probably have to remove the speakers to attach the frame from the inside, and rear mount the speakers back in. Good luck.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
        Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
        Celestion speakers
        Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
        Too many pedals....

Comment

Working...
        X