Dallas Guitar Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas Guitar Show

this was my first vintage show. I brought my 13 year old son with me. He was on the hunt for a used Mexican Strat. Wrong show for that! His disappointment sort of affected me a bit. I had a decent time, but I guess I figured there would be a few dealers with some lower end guitars for sale. It wasn't a complete loss as we went to the big Guitar Center in Arlington after the show and he played lower end guitars for several hours.

But, had I been with a friend my age, I think I'd have hung out all day and sat outside on the grass and drank a few beers and listened to the music.

Live and learn.

I was also pretty disappointed in the vintage amps available. I realize that shipping big heavy amps is not totally feasible, but since I'm totally into amp mode, I was hoping for more.

Some really cool amps I got to play. Dave's had a double deluxe Victoria that I got to play for a while. Dave's booth was just killer by the way. Not really a booth, more like a major chunk of floor space with a lot of simple tables with tons of great guitars. He had an entire 15 foot table with nothing but real 50's Telecasters. That might have been the coolest single table I saw. Fanstastic. (and none for sale!)

I listened to the Straoblasters play for a while, but c'mon. 6 or 7 guitars on stage and everyone trying to be louder than the other guy. Didn't work for me. I've heard better tone at a forum jam.

Gibson had both their acoustic and electric trailers. Pretty cool. Several dealers just had massive amounts of killer Lesters and PRSi. That was a treat in terms of eye candy.

I saw several old Fender amps, some really really old Tweeds and voxes, but over all the amp candy was slim.

Beer was cold!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Dallas Guitar Show

i'd love to go to something like that

by the way.. I know you have gotten into the kit building lately.....isnt Gerald Weber doing 1 of his tube amp siminars this weekend their?
    '05 Gibson SG Standard
    '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
    PRS IRW McCarty
    '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
    82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

I got to meet Gerald. Having just read his first book and watched his second video, it was a treat to meet him live. We talked about 15min. I'm considering going to his amp camp thing in May, but it's 300 bucks that I can spend on one of Bruce's kits. So, I'll probably just stick to the kits and the b ooks.

Gerald does have a trainwreck inspired kit which he told me was so complicated that he sells it with the eyelet board pre configured with exact lead legths attached.

Claims it costs more, but the tone consistency from one to another ismuch better. Weber is a trip.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
        I got to meet Gerald. Having just read his first book and watched his second video, it was a treat to meet him live. We talked about 15min. I'm considering going to his amp camp thing in May, but it's 300 bucks that I can spend on one of Bruce's kits. So, I'll probably just stick to the kits and the b ooks.

Gerald does have a trainwreck inspired kit which he told me was so complicated that he sells it with the eyelet board pre configured with exact lead legths attached.

Claims it costs more, but the tone consistency from one to another ismuch better. Weber is a trip.
        I would imagine anything remotely like an actual Trainwreck would be amazingly complicated to build, but in the long run you'd save about 18gs
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Thats pretty cool, scott, wish i coulda been there.

At the austin show recently (its not near as big a thing as the dallas one) there were lots of cool old guitars, like a '57 or something LP junior with the original hanging tags... that was one cool guitar. They also had a pretty good selection of amps compared to the number of guitars... but mostly old fenders, not too much in the way of old voxes or marshalls.
          '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
          Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
          '66 Fender Bassman
          Fender Champion 600
          Fender Stage 100

Comment

Working...
          X