banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cleans are great but gain sucks...what does this suggest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My cleans are great but gain sucks...what does this suggest?

Mrid I'm sure they do, but this is the thing. Do they sound exactly like Mesa tubes because it seems to me that YA is wondering why his Mesa doesn't sound like the new Mesa at the store. While Mesa amp models do sound different from each other, there is a characteristic "something" that I hear on all Mesa amps. It may be the tubes, it may not but if the JJ tubes sound the same as Mesas, there may not be a point in getting them and if they sound great but different, the amp still sounds different than it did coming from Mesa.

It's all in what YA thinks is important. Different and better are subjective, factory tone is at least somewhat a constant.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
      Mrid I'm sure they do, but this is the thing. Do they sound exactly like Mesa tubes because it seems to me that YA is wondering why his Mesa doesn't sound like the new Mesa at the store. While Mesa amp models do sound different from each other, there is a characteristic "something" that I hear on all Mesa amps. It may be the tubes, it may not but if the JJ tubes sound the same as Mesas, there may not be a point in getting them and if they sound great but different, the amp still sounds different than it did coming from Mesa.

It's all in what YA thinks is important. Different and better are subjective, factory tone is at least somewhat a constant.
      When I put JJ's in my Mark IV, I sensed an overall improvement. Like you say, this is a very subjective thing...this...tone. I just know that when I slapped JJ's in that thing...MAN,O,MAN! The bottom end was more pronounced and tighter and there was an overall sense of clarity about the amp.

If YA wants better distortion, though, the Chinese stuff Boogie relables are probably best.

Comment

Hmm yeah...these amps are not just doing out of the box drive, I had a studio preamp once..it took some time to get something out of it.
        The three volumes needs to work together, but it will end up with a compromise of each sound, so either you play it clean or with drive....well I did.
        Here is an online manual for your amp.

Comment

Working...
        X