routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• routing

would i butcher my guitar if i tried to re-rout the neck pup hole from a single coil to an HB hole? let it be known that i won't be using the proper tools lol, but i know what i am doing with the tools that i got

thanks,
    ~Billy

Re: routing

Does it have a pickguard along the lines of a Strat that covers everything up?

If it does, and as long as you realize this will really devalue your guitar, go to town. Just be forwarned that when you use a hammer and screwdriver the wood comes off in chunks along the grain, so use a light touch.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
      ....Just be forwarned that when you use a hammer and screwdriver the wood comes off in chunks along the grain, so use a light touch.
      Hammer and SCREWDRIVER?? I seriously hope you´re NOT serious. Chisels cost 5 $ and are DESIGNED for this kind of work, hammer and screwdriver is an absolute Hack´s solution in my book
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

When he said;

let it be known that i won't be using the proper tools lol, but i know what i am doing with the tools that i got
        I figured he was going the hammer and screwdriver route. Personally, I'd use a Dremel.

Comment

When he said;

I figured he was going the hammer and screwdriver route. Personally, I'd use a Dremel.
          Ah, you scared me there

I recommend a router, or in lieu of one a Roto-zip. But aA dremel and a steady hand should get the job done as well

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I went to Canadian Tire and got a set of extra-expensive stainless steel chizels when I was routing my telecaster. (My neck PU cavity was too tight so I had to open it up a little before shielding)

Sharp as hell chizzels REALLY help!
            my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
            A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
              I recommend a router, or in lieu of one a Roto-zip. But aA dremel and a steady hand should get the job done as well
              Yeah, I've only modded Strats, and they have a pickguard to cover up your butchery. If it was a solid electric guitar, I'd pay to get it done by a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                Have you ever used the Dremel attachment that converts it into a tool like a Rotozip? I've never used an actual Rotozip so I have nothing to compare it against, but the Dremel attachment seems like it would work.

In the past I have used routers and milling machines... I defintely prefer the milling machine.

Comment

Originally posted by stratsandaks
                  Have you ever used the Dremel attachment that converts it into a tool like a Rotozip? I've never used an actual Rotozip so I have nothing to compare it against, but the Dremel attachment seems like it would work.
                  Sorry, no. I do all of my routing except for inlays all with a nice Black&Decker Top router and a Ball bearing bit.

The Dremel I use almost exclusively with a flex shaft and foot controller for precision work that most other tools are incapable of doing in any sane amount of time

Comment

i could dig up my grandpapa's chisels, it'll work better then screwdrivers

and i'm too poor to own a dremel

are there any precautions i should take when using chisels? info other than "don't go too far" would be nice

~Billy

Comment

Originally posted by who really cares
                      are there any precautions i should take when using chisels? info other than "don't go too far" would be nice

~Billy

Yeah, don't use a sledgehammer.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Comment

i could dig up my grandpapa's chisels, it'll work better then screwdrivers

and i'm too poor to own a dremel

~Billy
                        Be careful (duh) and REAL IMPORTANT: Make sure you hold them right

One side is almost totally flat, this is the UPPER side, not the lower as most presume. And make sure they´re sharp

If you "turn them around, the cut will get deeper and deepre as you progress on the stroke, exactly the opposite effect of what you want. It will practically force you to break off chunks

Comment

one deep gouge on my finger and i'm finished

i used a chisel and my hands. sorry Zerbe, i held it upside down
                          it doesnt look too good, but the pup will be in there so you cant see it anyways lol.

now my only problem is to afford a new pup to put in there,
                          anyone got a black '59n for sale really really cheap? lmao

~Billy

Comment

....sorry Zerbe, i held it upside down .....
                            Why did I know this was going to happen?

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                            If I could jump in on Zerbs coats tails here........scoring the wood before using the chisels for each layer can help direct the cut as well.
                            NOOOOO. The very last thing he needs is good advice from another luthier

J/K. JJ, you´re happilyinvited to jump on my coats tails any time, just don´t steal the coat
                            Last edited by Zerberus; 04-18-2004, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X