Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torres Engineering

Has anybody dealt with this company?

I was just reading the website & noticed all the different amp kits that they have. I thought it might be fun to do...I know Scott F. enjoyed making his 5E3...........

ANYONE???

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Re: Torres Engineering

Yeah, Some of Dan's mods are pretty cool. His Black face mod is great,
    But some of his other mod He tells you what your geting (in tone) But
    not what your lose'in ?? Anytime you mod a amp or anything there's
    a give and take. I just did hid Red knob champ 12 mod. Like he said
    tons more useable gain.... But he didn't mention it darkin's the clean
    channel So you lose all the sweet chimmy class A tone
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I use theior 1 meg pots on a regular basis, but otherwise no. But my experience so far has been good.

FWIW
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Years ago I tryed some of his mods like the Triple Killer Switch for both Fender and Marshall amps and his effects loop...Some of this stuff was just a bundle of wires and made the amp a nice antenna to pick up all soughts of stray noise(Even though the mods were done right)
        His stuff is pricey and I never could get any help or answers from the company..Hope things have changed because this was in the early 90s for me..Some of his mods are just plain goofy and unexcitable to me..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I had a dual stage master mod done from torres' mod. It sounds great. My jcm 800 still sounds like a jcm 800 just balls to the wall. The tech said it was a difficult mod to do though.
          Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
          Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
          Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
          Epiphone LP Special w/JB
          Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
          Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
          1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
          Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

It's no longer Dan's company. My last dealings with them were not the best in the world.

If you want a dead quiet 5E3 kit, go with Bruce at mission amps. I will probably not build anyone else's kit after my megapositive experience with Bruce.

He's also coming out with a 35-40 Tweed Kit if you need more headroom. I'm getting one soon. But, the 5E3 will have more documentation in terms of pictures and such. Probably a bit easier build, but I can't imagine the bigger Tweed being that much more difficult. I just don't think Bruce has a lot of pictures yet. When I build my next one, I'll be taking massive amounts of pictures for Bruce.

Also, he's ordering 3 different Tweed Cabs for the new kit. 2x10, 3x10, and 1x15!

This is going to be great. But, you'll have to decide what speaker config you want. The 1x15 will be 8 ohm, the 2x10 will be 4 ohm. His transformer will be able to handle either. If you want to go 3x10, I think that is a 2.6 ohm output and that transformer will not be backward compatible like the one for the 2x10 and 1x15.

I think that will be the way to go in case you ever decide you want to go from 10's to a 15.

Now I have to really think of what I want. Probably go with the 2x10, but I do so love the 1x15 sound!

The only other kit I would consider would be the Allen Old Flame. Totally blackface.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
            X