necessary equipment for recording??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• necessary equipment for recording??

I have to make an audition tape for next year's band on Bassoon (a large woodwind instrument, in case you don't know).... You can turn in tapes or CDs, but i don't have a tape recorder and don't want bad quality....

Last year, i used a borrowed microphone (a shure sm-57) and ran it straight into my computer's soundcard, and used a free version of N-track studio to record it... that didn't work too well, though, because the levels were too low or something, so it was REAL quiet, but if i tried to turn up the recording levels, it would start clipping... someone said i really needed some sort of thing to boost the signal, i forgot what it was, but my question is this...

Would a guitar amp pre-amp work to boost the signal?? It might color the sound too much, i'd have to see, but in theory, would that work?? Cuz i could run the mic into the input of the amp, then take the 2nd input out to the soundcard, correct??

I wanna have a good recording if possible, but i don't have any money to buy stuff.... and i wouldn't mind making a tape, but the thing is, the boombox that i had before broke, and both my reciever and my dads reciever on our stereo's don't have mic jacks.
    '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
    Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
    '66 Fender Bassman
    Fender Champion 600
    Fender Stage 100

Re: necessary equipment for recording??

i do not think you want to put an sm-57 directly into the input of a guitar preamp .. it is a low-z out .. unless you can get some kind of transformer / adapter .. be careful to set the EQ very neutral ... you are right that the output (line) of the guitar preamp would be perfect to go into the soundcard .. (i dont know if you had a typo in your questionor not, but you need to take an OUTput frmo the preamp, NOT the 2nd INput)

do you have one of those little mics that come with most computers? it might work well enough and be pretty hassle free ..

if you have some cash, a mic preamp is what you want .. mic goes into it and you get a line out to your computer .. some of the really cool ones use USB out to the computer (M Audio has a 'mobile pre' for $150)

oh, and congrats on playing bassoon .. i think it is a really beautiful sounding instrument

good luck
    cheers,
    t4d
    Last edited by tone4days; 04-18-2004, 12:50 PM.
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Re: necessary equipment for recording??

Well, thanks for the info, it doesn't look like i'll be able to do it that way.... i guess i'll invest in a cheap boom-box thing with a built in mic, then.

And yes, bassoon is a very beautiful sounding instrument, but i don't do it justice... however, i get to hear the way its 'supposed' to be done everyday, the other guy in my band is one of the best child bassoonists in the state.
      '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
      Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
      '66 Fender Bassman
      Fender Champion 600
      Fender Stage 100

Comment

Working...
      X