Tube changes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube changes.

Got a Crate Blue Voodoo 60 with 6L6 tubes. I was thinking of putting in EL34's but the guitar tech where I go said he thought they were too "mushy" in his opinion. Who has some opinions on EL34's.

Thanks
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: Tube changes.

EL34's are cool, IMO... but i don't know that you can easily put them in an amp designed for 6L6's...
    '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
    Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
    '66 Fender Bassman
    Fender Champion 600
    Fender Stage 100

Comment

Originally posted by jmv
      EL34's are cool, IMO... but i don't know that you can easily put them in an amp designed for 6L6's...
      you have to adjust the bias. You can run el34's in 6l6 but not the other way around if i remember.

Comment

The BV can be converted to EL34's if memory serves. EL34's don't have as much clean headroom as the 6l6's, and distort sooner. The classic Marshall sound everyone loves is the EL34 sound. 6l6's are tighter, brighter and have more clean headroom. Think Fender type sound.

I prefer EL34's if I have to choose. Cleans are still decent enough given the right circut, and there is nothing like that EL34 sag when distorted IMO.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

you can probably do it. but the el34 has greater current draw for the heaters. 6L6 are [email protected]. IIRC, EL34 are 1.3A.

germ
          Jeremy Ledford
          Tone Guru Extroardinaire
          Tone Shop

Comment

If I'm thinking correctly here, the BV has way too much gain already, EL34s would only give it even more, not sure how the BV circuit would handle that (like germ said, it could probably handle it, but tonally i'm not so sure if that's the right amp to be changing to EL34s).
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
            X