Guitar eating Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar eating Bridge

My guitars bridge is eating my strings alive!! From right when i put the new strings on it kills them.cuts'em in half. I have an epiphone les paul and i know that is why...cause the bridges just kinda suck. What can i do to solve this problem? Sharpen it down? Get a new bridge?
    Epiphone Les Paul-100 >Neck/59 Bridge/DD
    Epiphone Les Paul-Studio >Bridge/JB
    OLP 4-String Bass> Active Basslines Pup
    Peavey 5150 Head and 5150 Slant Cab
    Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2
    Dunlop 535Q Wah~Ernie Ball Volume~Fender PT-10

Phil 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

~ That verse has helped me make it through everyday of my life. Remember.. God is always there and always will be. He has and always will love you.

Re: Guitar eating Bridge

The easiest thing to do is to buy some graphtec graphite replacement saddles...that should solve your problem.

The stock saddles can be "dulled" by filing and sanding the slots. I've never tried this, so I'll let someone else with knowledge chime in on that one. Hang in there....there is a realitivly simple fix.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

What works for some people i know and me is using a charcoal pencil on your bridge. Can't guarantee it will work with your bridge and I don't know the physics behind it but so far I've seen it work miracles on a Gibson bridge, fender bridge and Ibanez bridge.

Comment

I´m with J, either smooth the burrs on the original saddles or install Graph-tech String Saver saddles (one of the few products in the music industry that does it´s name justice IMO )
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

So where can i get some Graph Tech string savor saddles?
          Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2

~ That verse has helped me make it through everyday of my life. Remember.. God is always there and always will be. He has and always will love you.

Comment

Will the Gibson ABR-1 Tun-O-Matic string saver saddles work for my epiphones bridge? It is the bridge it came with the guitar.
            Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2

Comment

This should do you just fine.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Also, is the tail piece adjusted at too low of an angle, are the strings hitting the back of the bridge? I like graphtech saddles myself, BTW.
                ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

First try raising the tailpiece a little bit, made a huge difference for me. I used to go through A and D strings like mad until I did that.

Are they the low end strings you are snapping? If so one trick I use to clean the saddle slots up is to take a piece of cut string with a little graphite on it and use it like a file. I'll run it back and forth in the groove to make sure it is smooth, using the graphite polishes it a bit and make sure you are not really cutting the groove deeper.

Those 2 things should help a lot. The next thing I did was go to a little lighter pick, I rarely break strings now. If you continue to break strings you might consider trying a different brand?
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I've run into the problem myself on occasion, and you can sometimes fix it by taking a fine triangle file and deburring the saddle. It's not a big deal to do it yourself, but you want to make sure you don't file off a lot of saddle material. If it bothers you too much to do it yourself, there's probably a guitar shop somewhere near you that can do it for you.
                    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

By the way, Graph-Tech saddles are a HUGE improvement on the tone of just about any instrument, and they don't eat strings like those metal tuneamatic bridges...
                      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Yeah my lower strings are breaking i tune down to C and D....and my lower 3 strings are the ones that break all the time. I will prolly settle on getting some string saver saddles.
                        Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2

Comment

I just raised my tailpiece.....it looks as if that will help alot. Looks as if it lowers some of that tension on the strings.
                          Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2

Comment

Working...
                          X