Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ATTN: Scott_F - Strat Mod

Originally posted by Scott_F
    Okay, I'll ask, what's a no load pot? (you bongers out there, no comment)

I just bought the one from Torres when I was buying some other odds and ends.
    From my non-experiential knowledge I believe a no-load pot is one in which when it is on full volume (or tone) the pot has no load at all in the circuit - as in it is pretty much 'true bypass'.

I think other pots continue to make their presence felt, albeit it in a small way.

Comment

Jonny R is correct. In a no load pot, the connection between the wiper and the other terminal is completely cut when the pot is turned to "10" (or to "0", depending on how the no load pot is made - the commercially available one's are "no load" at "10"). Normally, there is only 250k (or 500k) resistance between the two outside terminals, so there is some bleed through. A no load pot severs the connection entirely.

You can get a Fender no load pot from several places, including GuitarElectronics.com. You can also "roll your own" - John's Pot Tutorial. Please note that this is NOT drug education

Chip
      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
        FWIW I'd strongly suggest a "no load" pot for the blender. Lindy's diagram should work fine.

Chip
        Nice touch there, always nice to know that something that's supposedly out of the circuit is truely OUT ...
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
          Okay, I'll ask, what's a no load pot? (you bongers out there, no comment)

I just bought the one from Torres when I was buying some other odds and ends.
          Scott, a no-load was Fender's deal (at first marketing), it's basically a pot that the track is cut at the *10* end, when used as a tone control (for example) it simply functions as a switch ... from 0~9.5 it's a normal pot, then at 10 the wiper breaks connection with the track; hence it doesn't load your signal. In the case of what we are talking about here, it simply means that when all the way up, the bridge and neck pups have no connection thru the blender at all ... so it functions like an on/off switch for the blender (or in the case of the tone control ...it takes it totally out of the circuit). BTW, for humbucker users it makes a nice coil tap switch at the end, for those that wish a full on tap, at full treble position.
          Speaking of tone controls, I thought I'd stick this here rather than to start a new thread, (most don't really go for this type of stuff ... being that the TBX control has gotten some so-so press [I understand why given the stock wiring], most consider it to subtle) so I'll chuck this here. Bear in mind the cap values should be adjusted to your instrument ... these are only a starting place.

Sorry if this comes out less than stellar, or hard to see ... I had to shrink it to get it to fit.

Comment

Second try to get this thing to post ... Okay can't get it to work ...what gives?

Comment

Okay,third try ... a day later...

Comment

Working...
              X