EQ Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ Pedals

Do you use an EQ pedal in your rig? I'm debating whether or not to try one out with mine. Which brand/model is your favorite, and why?

-Bob

Re: EQ Pedals

When I used to run pedals before, I had the Boss GE-7, I didnt think it was useful before I got it, but after I got it, I couldnt play without it. Its awsome.

That EQ.. or check into the Carl Martian Parametric EQ.

Good luck,
    Duke
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Yes.

I like using an EQ after my distortion. I also have a rack mount in my effects loop.

Pedal - Boss GE-7 - I had mine modded by Kevin at www.tone-jam.com. He does some stuff to improve the clarity and remove the hiss that pedal normally adds when boosting.

Rack - Furman PQ-3 Parametric EQ/Preamp
      Last edited by some_dude; 04-18-2004, 05:29 PM.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

What about the MXR 10 band graphic EQ? I was looking into those. What do you guys think of them?
        Epiphone LP standard
        ESP Ltd KH-602
        Gibson Flying V
        Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
        Roland Cube-15
        Dunlop Wah with Fasel
        Line 6 Mod Pro
        Line 6 DL4
        MXR 10 band EQ
        Boss CS-3 Compressor
        Boss 2 way switcher
        Boss CE-5 Chorus Esemble

Comment

I use the Boss GE-7.. Great Pedal although i haven been playin my rig alot since i got it cos i got it a Day before i went to france and not back long so hopefully i'll get time to mess about with it.. The Pedal doesn't colour the tone , the only drawback it that hiss when boosting that screamingdaisy mentioned but if you boosting it for lead solos you cant hear the hiss so its not that bad...
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
            Do you use an EQ pedal in your rig? I'm debating whether or not to try one out with mine. Which brand/model is your favorite, and why?

-Bob
            Hello buddy...I get good tone with my effects and my guitars and amps and don't currently use an EQ pedal...Years ago I used to use the GE7 with my combo JCM 800 2X12 amp to get more lows from it..I remember the GE7 doing the job but it also added alot of extra hiss to everything...It's a great pedal but it isn't a quiet pedal...I'm guessing there are better EQ pedals than the Boss?

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Hehe there is alot of things better than Boss....but they usually gets the job done for a reasonable amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                Hehe there is alot of things better than Boss....but they usually gets the job done for a reasonable amount of money.
                Yes the GE7 did get the job done and the pedal was inexpensive when I bought mine...Everyone likes the GE7..
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

MXR 10 band graphic EQ?????? don't mean to spam but anyone know anything about this EQ pedal??
                  Epiphone LP standard
                  ESP Ltd KH-602
                  Gibson Flying V
                  Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
                  Roland Cube-15
                  Dunlop Wah with Fasel
                  Line 6 Mod Pro
                  Line 6 DL4
                  MXR 10 band EQ
                  Boss CS-3 Compressor
                  Boss 2 way switcher
                  Boss CE-5 Chorus Esemble

Comment

Yeah it is easy to use, I had one some years ago, the hiss drove me crazy though...
                    I have a love/hate relationship with eq's...haha
                    I mostly use parametric eq's now, if I use any at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                      Yeah it is easy to use, I had one some years ago, the hiss drove me crazy though...

Mine doesn't hiss

I found the link to the right page. He charges $45 for the mod and free return shipping worldwide.
                      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                        I have a love/hate relationship with eq's...haha
                        I mostly use parametric eq's now, if I use any at all.
                        See,I guess the hiss goes with the territory with some EQ pedals? I'm surprised most of us would need an EQ with all the adjustments we have on our amp,guitars,and effects though?

John

Comment

Bob -

I have a DOD 7 band eq somewhere around here collecting dust. I used it for quite a while, but wanted one to match my other Boss pedals, so I traded another pedal for the GE-7. The DOD is missing one of the slider knobs, but other than that is in perfect condition.

If you're interested in trying it out to see how an EQ works with your rig....give me a holler and I'll ship it to you. It's just going to waste here.

Jeff
                          My Sound Clips

Comment

That "hiss" thing seems to be a problem with many Boss pedals. My DS-1 and SD-1 effects that John modded don't have any of that, but a Boss compression/sustainer pedal I have certainly does, and I stopped using it. I did score a Guyatone c/s pedal recently that I'm waiting for to arrive in the mail, and will give a review for here when I get it.
                            The EQ pedal has been something I've thought about using in the past, but with all the tweaks, mods, and adjustments I've done to both guitars and amps of mine and still hearing some line noise, I thought I might be able to cut some of that down or eliminate it with an EQ.
                            What do you all think of injecting a Boss LS-2 line selector pedal into the scheme of things, dividing up the effects to where I have distortion-type pedals going through one channel of the Selector and modulation effects going through the other? I'd also be able to not go through any effect pedals at all and run straight into the amp from my guitar if desired (and I think with a set of Antiquity's coming that I'll install into my American Strat, I'll be wanting that often) I have a LS-2 that I've never used yet, and perhaps with the several pedals I have in my chain that I'm sure aren't helping that noise, perhaps using the LS-2 might be a good way to reduce or eliminate the noise?
                            But then there I am again with another Boss pedal, and another possible "hiss" issue again. Guess there's no way to tell unless I try it.

Comment

Would the Boss NS-2 Noise suppressor thing do that? I'm not a big expert on pedals
                              Epiphone LP standard
                              ESP Ltd KH-602
                              Gibson Flying V
                              Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
                              Roland Cube-15
                              Dunlop Wah with Fasel
                              Line 6 Mod Pro
                              Line 6 DL4
                              MXR 10 band EQ
                              Boss CS-3 Compressor
                              Boss 2 way switcher
                              Boss CE-5 Chorus Esemble