EQ Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EQ Pedals

i run a DS-1 into a GE-7 eq pedal and i dont notice that much hum at all.. it all depends on many factors/conditions.. but for me the GE-7 makes worlds of difference in shapping your tone

Comment

Hiss is a common thing for pedals. It's worse if you're running AC power to a set of them, creates that obnoxious 60 cycle hum (and yes, I know they're going through a transformer, but it always made it worse for me). I haven't used an in-line EQ in ages, though for a time I was running an Ibanez Parametric EQ with a sweepable mid, which really helped out the SG that I was using for shows.
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Bob...Unless you'd use the EQ to knock out the hiss by bringing your highs down,I'd think you'd want to lean more towards a noise gate...If you knock down the highs to get rid of the hiss,your guitar also suffers the loss in highs..Sometimes for every positive,there's that darn negative to go with it...You aren't able to dial in your tone buddy without having to add another pedal to your equation? Also...Without a buffer,the more pedals,the more noise,loss of highs,and loss of power and tone at the end of the pedal before the signal hits the input of your amp..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

M.M.

This is strictly second hand, but I've been told that the Boss LS-2 is noisey and eats tone. I was about to buy one 'coz it's got limited power supply for other pedals too but got talked out of it.

I've read good things about Loooper products, but again haven't used 'em myself. Plan to someday...

Sorry for wandering off topic a bit, but I thought it might help.

FWIW a 6-band MXR equalizer works well for me and the LED's in each slider are helpful for dark locations.

Chip
          Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
          Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
          Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
          SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
          SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
          "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
            M.M.

This is strictly second hand, but I've been told that the Boss LS-2 is noisey and eats tone. I was about to buy one 'coz it's got limited power supply for other pedals too but got talked out of it.

I've read good things about Loooper products, but again haven't used 'em myself. Plan to someday...

Sorry for wandering off topic a bit, but I thought it might help.

FWIW a 6-band MXR equalizer works well for me and the LED's in each slider are helpful for dark locations.

Chip
            Thanks, Chip. And no, you're not wandering off the topic really. It kinda evolved into that and I helped it along a little.
            I don't relish the prospect of adding more pedals as each symptom arises. I have weeded out the pedals that I felt were doing things to my sound other than enhancing it, and although I haven't a pedal on my board that has cost me more than $100 I feel the ones I have are still top-notch.

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
              Thanks, Chip. And no, you're not wandering off the topic really. It kinda evolved into that and I helped it along a little.
              I don't relish the prospect of adding more pedals as each symptom arises. I have weeded out the pedals that I felt were doing things to my sound other than enhancing it, and although I haven't a pedal on my board that has cost me more than $100 I feel the ones I have are still top-notch.
              Hey Bob..I Know of at least 2 pedals on your board that are top notch!

John
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
              X