banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really want to learn how to change my own pups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really want to learn how to change my own pups!

I know what tools I need, and I saw Mr Spina's page on changing STRAT pups. Is Changing pups in a Telecaster the same?

If so, I really want to get started!!

What I'm going to be doing is putting a humbucker in the bridge. I already have the bridge, and I plan on routing out the space for the bucker.

Comment

Strange,

I think Butnut has some picture of the tool he uses to machine a hum cavity in a body. It's a kind of advanced Dremel if I well remember.
      I used a kind of electric drill lent by a carpenter friend to make my tele-gib.
      For the bridge, some like Gotoh make humbecker sized tele bridge that will fit your tele. All you need is to drill thecavity and perhaps slightly rework the pickguard.

Another solution is to cut your current tele bridgeand use humbucker mounting rings as I did on the tele-gib (the "Seymour way" for Beck's original telegib).

Ask Butnut for details.
      Pickups used :
      Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
      PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
      PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
      PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
      PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
      PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
      PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
      PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
      PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
      Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
      Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
      SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

Caveman,
        Thanks. I already have the Warmoth bridge plate, and I also slighty modified the pickguard (to fit the bridge). I already started cutting out the bridge space in the body and plan on finishing with a dremmel. I am more concearned at this point with the soldering and wiring on chaning the pups.

Comment

The schematics section on this site does not show wiring for humbuckers into a Telecaster bridge

Comment

A really good book that Scott_F turned me onto is the "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlweine. Covers pretty much anything you need to do to your guitar. I picked it up after being quoted the price of $60 per pickup for installation. It was well worth the $15 for the book and the additional $10 for a soldering iron. Next up I'm going to try to refret an old acoustic I have laying around.

Keep us posted about the cavity routing. I'm interested to hear about the process.
            PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
            PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
            GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
            Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
            Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
            various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by chcjunior
              A really good book that Scott_F turned me onto is the "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlweine. Covers pretty much anything you need to do to your guitar. I picked it up after being quoted the price of $60 per pickup for installation. It was well worth the $15 for the book and the additional $10 for a soldering iron. Next up I'm going to try to refret an old acoustic I have laying around.

Keep us posted about the cavity routing. I'm interested to hear about the process.
              yeah, definitely pick that up, its a great book, tons of info in it. the Soldering really isn't too hard... it sounds intimidating, but i was easily able to do it my first time.
              '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
              Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
              '66 Fender Bassman
              Fender Champion 600
              Fender Stage 100

Comment

I'm going to look for that book! Thanks, guys!!

Comment

are you going to split the humbucker?
                  Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
                    are you going to split the humbucker?
                    I don't have the desire to do so. I'm pretty sure my Axe will still squawk - atleast as much as I want it to.

Dude, nice avatar. is that you? I didn't know the members of Interpol post here.

Comment

This diagram shows how to wire a humbucker into a tele bridge.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics/tele_bridge_hb.html

Different sized or shaped pickups (so long as they're both single coils, or both humbuckers) aren't wired any different from one another. A hotrails will be wired the same way as a distortion, which will be wired the same way as a pearly gates etc.

Comment

Should I change my volume pot to a 500 k?

Comment

its funny how different guys have different intimidation factors .. and some have none ... the soldering and circuit design elements of guitar mods dont frighten me at all .. guess it's cuz i started doing electrical work in the 7th grade ... but wood working!? ... fuggedaboudit ... scares the crap outta me .. one false move and you got yourself a multi hundred (thousand?) dollar piece of firewood

good luck with the project ... let us know how it comes out

and yeah, i'd go to 500K pots for a humbucker-equipped guitar

cheers,
                          t4d
                          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

You can use the standard wiring for a double humbucker setting in a tele :

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

just substitute the 250k pots by 500k ones.

If you don't use splits, it's enough !
                            Pickups used :
                            Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
                            PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
                            PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
                            PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
                            PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
                            PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
                            PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
                            PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
                            PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
                            Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
                            Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
                            SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

Working...
                            X