Hardtail bridge differences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtail bridge differences.

Can anyone tell me if there's any difference, soundwise, between these two types of hardtail bridges?

Or, how about any setup differences? Is one "easier" than the other?

Thanks all.

Re: Hardtail bridge differences.

That's like comparing apples and oranges. They're usually found on different types of guitars that sound VERY different from each other. I guess the main difference is that the strat hardtail has strings that go through the body and the tune-o-matic does not. You can also set the string height individually with the strat hardtail, while the TOM bridge has screws on the both sides that raise and lower the whole bridge. Finally, with the TOM you can lower or raise the tailpiece a little to change the string tension, which you cannot do with the strat hardtail.

Lots of pros and cons, but these bridges are both usually seen as a part of a larger guitar design, and are not usually options for the same type of guitar.
    "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Thanks for that info TwofacePimp. (Why do I feel like I've just insulted you, after using your screen name?)

This will be for a guitar I'm building. It'll be a basic solid-body, probably styled after the Fender Toronado. (The guitar in red, above.) But I was thinking of using a Hipshot, or similiar.

Comment

but i love strat hardtails

Comment

those two bridges are going to have different string spacing along with the other differences noted. I prefer the string though body design myself.
          Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Cory_Dylan
            but i love strat hardtails
            Me too.

I guess, another way to pose this question is: is there some sonic reason Fender chose that particular bridge for the Toronado, but the other style for the Strat? Is it just styling?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
              Me too.

I guess, another way to pose this question is: is there some sonic reason Fender chose that particular bridge for the Toronado, but the other style for the Strat? Is it just styling?
              My guess would be is that all Strats are made basically the same. If they were to put a TOM bridge on a strat, it would have to be made much different. (no cavity for the bridge, neck tilted back, etc.) Could you see a TOM and stop bar on a strat? It would be cool, but i wouldn't like it. Keep a strat a strat.

Comment

I think the string through would have better sustain, but that is just logically. Less rattling and more contact with the body.

Comment

fender does make a strat with a p90 like pickup and the guitar has a wrap around stop bar style bridge. It is kinda like a les paul junior in a strat shape.
                  Cleveland Guitars

Comment

that's a good point. the TOM bridges are usually on guitars that have a neck angle greater than 0 (ie usually not bolt-on strat style bodies). I don't know about the tornado, although I would guess that it has a neck mounting angle greater than 0. The TOM bridge sits pretty high. this is fine with a neck that angles for geometric reasons. the strat style bridge is lower so you can use a neck with no angle. I have a string through hard tail like that strat above, in my MM axis. It's really nice and simple and has great tone. Also, you can get them in either the wider normal strat width, or in a narrower, better for humbucker width.
                    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

You know, I was going to mention the neck-tilt thing too, but funny thing is, I just remembered seeing the TOM setup on a carvin neck through before (SC90, I think it was)... I guess there's a way to get that thing down there so you don't need the tilt. (I remember it was much lower to the body than on a normal guitar)...

Other than that I think the fact that the fender style is string through body enhances the sustain. Oh, I've also heard that in general the fender style is brighter than a TOM like...

Comment

I take it that TOM is an acronym for something? What?

I guess I'll use the Hipshot, "Strat" style bridge. The Fender Toronado is what I found that seems to be the higher quality version of the Ibby Jetking that I was gassing for. There's just something about that basic body style that appeals to me.

But, it still has some styleing that I don't like. Again, the pickguard looks like it was made for another guitar, and I don't like the placement of the 3-way. (Or the knobs, for that matter.)

So, I'm going to attempt to "roll-my-own".

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                          I take it that TOM is an acronym for something? What?
                          Tune-o-matic.

Didn't Samick make a strat-styled guitar once with a tune-o-matic bridge? I seem to remember that there was no tailpiece, instead the strings went into ferrules and through the body. It had 3 angled P90s instead of 3 standard single coils too.

If the tune-o-matic is too high, maybe you could recess it into the top of the body slightly or something?

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                            Tune-o-matic.
                            Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                              If the tune-o-matic is too high, maybe you could recess it into the top of the body slightly or something?
                              there wouldn't be enough string angle behind the saddles, even if it were a string through body.

Comment

Working...
                              X