Yamaha acoustics that look like Bow & Arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha acoustics that look like Bow & Arrow

I was in Sam Ash yesterday and played that Yamaha SLG 100S, that crazy steelstring acoustic/electric that can break down into a suitcase, but looks like a bow and arrow, assembled.

As far as concept guitars go, I have to admit it's a pretty cool design.
    Of course you need to use the headphones or an amp/PA, but if I were a
    a frequent traveler, and needed to have something with me, it'd do the trick.

What do you guys think of this guitar? They come in both steel and nylon string versions, have an onboard preamp and FX.

Do any of you own one, or have played one? Yay? Nay?

Sorry, but I thought the skinny font would be appropriate.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-19-2004, 10:43 PM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Yamaha acoustics that look like Bow & Arrow

Hmmm... an acoustic that has to be plugged in... not a very useful design to me. I played one and it felt and sounded as cheap as it looks
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

i tried the nylon string one and loved it...its not meant to be an instrument everyone hears, it is supposed to be for travel and private practice...it sounds great through an amp though!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not really my Thang.
        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Yes, but I thought the whole purpose of an acoustic is so that others CAN hear it. I want to get an acoustic so that I can play on the beach, outside in the sun etc. I don't want to have to plug into a Roland Micro Amp or something.

I guess as a travel companion, it's not a bad idea, but keep in mind carrying a portable amp along with that thing would kind of defeat the whole portability thing. I'll take a regular acoustic over that hideous creation anyday.
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

I'm kinda in between Mincer and theChris. It's a concept guitar for the same kind of person that would appreciate a Parker Fly. You either dig'em or you don't. I was curious enough to try one plugged into studio headphones. The steel string one is probably the one I would want, since it's more my style, but I thought the nylon one felt and sounded pretty good too. Of course,they're NO Martin or Ramirez, but if I could only play in hotel rooms or while others are watching TV in the same room, It'd be something to consider. Not my situation, tho, so I'll just stick to the D-28. It was pretty fun to play in the store, tho.

Comment

Thanks for bringin it to our attention, G. It is different.
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Well, its been out for a few years, and, its called, 'Silent Guitar'. You listen over headphones (it has a built in amp and reverb) Not meant to replace an acoustic guitar. It is for silent practice when you travel. Not liking it because it isn't a proper guitar is like not liking a Strat cause it doesn't sound like a clarinet. It serves a different function, and well, from my experience.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was surprised how rigid it is. From the looks of it, you'd expect it to be something you could bend in your hand, but the material they used for the "bow" part is strong, and screws down tight. I wonder if my boss would fire me for sitting on this forum
                  AND playing that silent guitar all day! I think I know the answer to that one.
                  You can only take the "Office Space" attitude so far! LOL

Comment

GJ, if you are sitting in a cubicle and can unscrew your wall and tip it over, you would be my idol (and Office Space is one of the best movies around).

Of course, if I made you my idol, I would sell all my gear, try and start over, mess up and be kicked out my house faster than you know what.

Comment

Working...
                    X