banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Line 6 DM-4 Distortion Modeler...need advice please???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 DM-4 Distortion Modeler...need advice please???

hey guys what do you think about DM-4...I was thinking about getting a TS-9 tubescreamer for my setup (Fender Twin Reverb) but I thought I could use some more distortion and dist effects other than only Overdrive...I've read that DM-4 has 16 diff dist\od\fuzz settings so I thought it could me more suitable but how is the sound especially when combined with the Twin reverb???I need to get the best sound cause I'm fed up with crappy processors and stompboxes(not for everyone)...I think line 6 is a company that makes quality products but I really need your help especially if you've experienced with line 6 products and DM-4 so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks...
    90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
    99' USA Fender Stratocaster
    96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
    79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Re: Line 6 DM-4 Distortion Modeler...need advice please???

I havent played one, but all those line 6 things are pretty good i hear. Try one for yourself if you can, your ears will give you the best advice you can get.
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

I've owned one for several years. I like the fact that I can preset 4 different distortion/overdrive settings and switch between them on the fly. This would be great for your twin as you could preset a milder overdrive for rhythm lets say, a more aggressive one for meater parts and a couple thick ones for leads. As for the 16 or so modelled pedals I only use a couple. I use mostly the chandler tube drive ,the tubescreamer model, and the line 6 model. The others simply don't appeal to my style of playing. I don't see that as a problem though because you can only preprogram 4 - I think I have mine set with one tubescreamer-mild, two chandler middle and pushed, and one line 6 saturated. All and all very good for amps with only one channel. That being said I don't even use it with my MKII.

Comment

While a lot of the Line 6 stuff is great, I'd question how good the distortion is (generally, all in one distortion modelers in the past have been horrible and great distortion pedals are hard to come by).

You have a Twin Reverb so I know you have amazing cleans. You want to have a top of the line distortion pedal. Are they expensive? Somewhat, but you'll know the quality is there.

I'd look into the Banzai Fireball, Tone Bone Classic or Hot British (my friend's one sounds unbelievable). I have also heard great things about the G2D Morpheus as well.
        Hopefully, someone with personal experience will chime in about the modeler.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

i had one for a little while, but sent it back because it didn't sound quite right in front of my amp. this was also in front of a solid state clean channel, though, but i tried the pedal in front of my buddies fender (can't remember the model, tube though) and it sounded much better warmed up a bit. for the price, i would get it, it'll probably sound great in front of your amp, and it's really versatile.
          Line 6 Flextone II 1x12
          Schecter C-1 Classic, JB bridge, '59 neck
          Anyone want to donate a tube amp?

Comment

thanks guys I really need some good dist tones here as my cleans are crystal clear...I should try one in a local store but I won't buy it here in Istanbul cause it costs 400Euros...in America the price is 250bucks well you see the huge difference...I'm still open for any more advices thanks pals you're great...
            90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
            99' USA Fender Stratocaster
            96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
            79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

I have the same problem, I have a fender hot rod deluxe and love the cleans but I want great distortions.

Comment

I did not really like the DM-4. The Chandler setting was pretty good but I'd rather have the real thing for less money.

I highly recommend the Hughes/Kettner Tube Factor. They list for about $210 new and you can find them on ebay for around $100. They use a 12ax7 tube and you can switch between old school distortion and diode-clipping, along with the 12ax7.
                It has a voice knob for different tonal settings. It has a boost level and 2 switches, for distortion selections.
                One more important thing is it has true bypass, as not to mess up your tone when it's turned off.

I owned many distortion pedals before I got the TF.
                My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Working...
                X