I Want to make a pedalboard but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Want to make a pedalboard but...

I only have about 4 pedals at the moment, including my footswitch, but I plan on expanding my pedals and such and want to be able to just add on. How would you guys suggest doing this? Also, do you guys have pictures of your homemade pedalboards I can get some ideas from? Thanks for the help!
    Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 Head!
    Avatar 4x12 Slant Cab w/ 2 V12's and 2 GB12's
    Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan Custom
    Fender Std. Strat w/ Invader

Re: I Want to make a pedalboard but...

I would worry about the pedals first, and remember simple is better.

Comment

Here's a site that might give you a few ideas, bro:

Custom Pedalboards & Rack Cases Built to Your Specs. Custom Tolex Coverings. Lifetime Warranty. Proven Reliability.

I just ordered the Big Shot Plus for my rig, but it still won't house all my pedals. But I'll never use them all at one session anyway.
      hope this helps.

-Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BombsAwayJ
        I only have about 4 pedals at the moment, including my footswitch, but I plan on expanding my pedals and such and want to be able to just add on. How would you guys suggest doing this? Also, do you guys have pictures of your homemade pedalboards I can get some ideas from? Thanks for the help!
        copycat
        we can be heroes

Comment

You could try makin your own. I just went to a local hardware store, and bought this thing called an elfa shelf. Then I covered the whole thing in velacrow (sp?), screwed some knobs on it and stuck some rubber stoppers on the bottom so it wouldn't scratch floors of slide around. the whole thing cost about $20. If you want a picture, just ask, and I'll post it later today.

Comment

It probably makes a lot more sense to just make your own. Me, being an audiophile, had to get a Furman board. I needed absolute quiet powering of my pedals. It only powers 8 pedals, but the way I see it, if I need more than that, I'm relying too much on them. I actually very rarely use pedals. Every once in a while the wah comes in handy, or an acoustic part is in order or I need a blues type overdrive, but besides that, it's really not ever used. I'll probably get a delay in a little while and that I might have fun experimenting with, but all my compositions are done with an unplugged electric (hence why I need an acoustic )
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

there is a great article on guitarworld.com about this. the band moe wrote it, really interesting. they tell you how to make it as well, including what tools you need.
              esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
              fender mim standard strat
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
              dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic
              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I made mine in a weekend. I used a piece of plwood, covered it with black vinyl, and attached the pedals with 2 sided tape rather than velcro. I used GeorgeL cables to connect it all, and powered it with a one spot which I ordered for 25.00 from Musicans friend. I had to cut and splice some of the connections due to tha fact that I use 2 amps. In my Fender amp I have a CE2, DD3 and a TS9, Thru my Marshall which has an effects loop I have DOD TR3 which I only use the delay, in the front end of the Marshal I also have "old" style Bluesbreaker pedal. Each Amp plugs in to a Morley A/B box, so I can switch amps or use both if i Want. As you can see the 2 amps created som issues, I could not find any pedal board that was going to give me the versatility I wanted so I made this, and it works great, It is absolutley silent!!! the GeorgeL cables are GREAT. The One Spot works real well also. One power switch turns the whole thing on! It is not that hard to do on your own. Just take your time and really consider the floorplan before you star. As i said this took all day one Sat. to put togethr, but it took me 3 months od deciding how to lay the whole thing out! LOL DS
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

My home made board, made from wood in the shed with some nails, and some catches and a handle from some shop. Didn't cost much. sorry about the quality, i think they get the idea across though.
                  Last edited by Mr Wolf; 04-21-2004, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! I've been looking at pedalboards you can buy and such and I've got a pretty good idea of what to do. I have a 1 spot with a daisy chain already, so with some george L's cables it should be a silent rig right?

Also, do you guys put power strips on the boards or buy something like the voodoo lab pedal power?
                    Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 Head!
                    Avatar 4x12 Slant Cab w/ 2 V12's and 2 GB12's
                    Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan Custom
                    Fender Std. Strat w/ Invader

Comment

Originally posted by BombsAwayJ
                      Thanks for the replies guys! I've been looking at pedalboards you can buy and such and I've got a pretty good idea of what to do. I have a 1 spot with a daisy chain already, so with some george L's cables it should be a silent rig right?

Also, do you guys put power strips on the boards or buy something like the voodoo lab pedal power?
                      You can do either. When my board arrives from NYC Pedalbards I'm going to tuck a power strip under the 2nd level where it'll be out of the way.
                      About that link I posted, I only meant it as reference to your original post where you stated you wanted to build one yourself.
                      If I was going to go that route, and didn't need a cover for it or wasn't going to tote the board around with me all over the place, I'd start with a piece of 1/2" plywood and cover it with a black cloth that velcro would easily adhere to, tuck it around the sides and staple it to the board on the bottom of the plywood. Go to a fabric store for the material (they'll tell you exactly what types of material you can use), it shouldn't be very spendy at all. Then, all you have to do is get some velcro tape, place a couple of strips on the bottom of your pedals and stick 'em on the board. You could do all of this for about $20 - $30 if you had to buy a sheet of plywood.
                      If you know somebody who has a few clean scraps laying around you could probably talk 'em out of a chunk, maybe even get 'em to cut it to size for ya.
                      Lay your pedals out like you'll want them on the board and measure the dimensions around them. Allow room for a power strip and however more pedals you think you may be adding later. Pretty simple.
                      Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, I just use a one spot w/ a daisy chain into a power strip. I've got 5 pedals and there isn't really much tone alteration.

Comment

Working...
                        X