Schaller locking tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller locking tuners?

Are they worth the money? I'm considering slapping some in my SG and Schecter...
    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
    various pedals

Re: Schaller locking tuners?

You might want to consider Sperzel's as well. Some peg-hole reaming would probably be in order, especially with the SG, but I sure do like mine in my Epi LP.

-Bob

Comment

I've used both Schaller and Sperzels and they are both really nice. Changing strings is a quicker and less painful experience.

Andy
      http://www.guitar-mod.com

Comment

Some of the locking models now have a mechanism where there is no thumb screw to tighten. My Grovers are like that....you twist the post until it clicks into place and the holes line up. Insert the string and turn the post and the "inner post" turns until it locks on the string, and then the whole post turns as normal. Retains the stock look.

I also had the Fender/Shaller locking tuners on my USA strat and liked them a lot as well. Haven't tried the Sperzels, but they have a good rep as well.

My biggest criteria isn't brand, it's matching as closely as possible the stock look of the guitar. Grovers would probably be the closest on your SG or Schecter.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

Good point, Jeff, on keeping the look stock. I think I'll be switching out my stock tuners on my new Strat sometime soon. Call me lazy or whatever, but I really like the simplicity of locker's over conventional tuners.

-Bob

Comment

i have sperzels on my moore...i love em...

i'll always put locking tuners on my guitars from here out!!!
            Originally posted by jeremy
            God hates bad guitar tone
            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I believe I'll check into the Grovers as I would like to keep the stock look as much as possible. This a nice solution to holding off the GAS for a while till I get some cash stock piled. I've discovered that using the principle of ONLY CASH FOR GAS certainly slows down the process!
              PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
              PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
              GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
              Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
              Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
              various pedals

Comment

I love locking tuners...I don't care much for a stock look, either, so I like the LSR tuners a lot as well. Convenience and tuning stability is more improtant to me than what it looks like.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Depending on what you pay they are worth the money for
                  1. Tuning Stability
                  2. Increased speed of string changes
                  I installed some Fender locking tuners (you can find them on the Fender site) on my strat and couldn't be happier. The time I save changing strings is amazing. I think that they cost $60 and took less than 20 minutes to install. I'm not sure if these would fit your axes but I didn't need to drill or modify anything on my guitar.

I encourage you to try lockign tuners!!!!
                  2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Comment

Absolutely! I slapped some schaller locking tuners onto my USA Fat Strat as soon as I got it. Worth the money - especially after tremming a little.
                    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                    X