Compression: Before or after OD ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression: Before or after OD ???

Hey Y'all, for those of you that use a compressor, do you like it before or after your Overdrive???? Just thought some nice info might come from this thread. I use a compressor , I like the way it smooths out and adds a little punch to my Sound. I like it before my overdrive, but I like it after, also. I use it very sparingly, tastefully. I find that by using it in this manner, it doesn't cause as much unwanted noise. ( we all know that a compressor will amplify noise from other sources ). OK, let's hear from Y'all.
    Only The Strong Survive

Re: Compression: Before or after OD ???

When I'm playing heavy music I find I need to use it after my distortion, otherwise my guitar doesn't really drive hard enough into the distortion - I don't get the really low-end grunt.

Not so much of an issue otherwise, I just make sure it is before my wah. Doesn't work well after it - takes out a lot of the wah frequency change.

Comment

I have discovered that I use less and less compression for overdriven sounds, but for rhythmparts I still like it alot.
      But I hate most guitarcompressors, all that annoying squishy tone that is going on bugs me, Ilike them as neutral as possible, but then again I know that there are some classic sounds where you just need that damm red MXR thingy

Comment

I just bought a Guyatone compressor/sustainer and really like the transparency of it. I use it after any OD or dist. pedals, and it works fairly well after the wah.

Comment

Hey ya Rid, I hear ya on the " neutral " setting for a compressor. I use mine VERY SPARINGLY. I think most players have a tendency to overcompress when first using a compressor. The trick to it seems to be to use it as sparingly as possible.

Hey Bob.....I'm still waitin for UPS to deliver that Strat LOL
          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I agree with Rid too. I used to have a Barber tone press which was a nice compressor. But, I sold it because I didn't use it much. I placed it after my overdrive pedals. I guess I prefer the dynamics of the uncompressed tone. The compressor was a nice experiment for me, but it's history now.
            (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

I'm gonna be the odd ball here ... but ....
              Generally, unless you are using a rack compressor for smaller amounts of compression then generally you would go before the OD (especially with pedals), however thru and effect loop lower levels of compression or limiting in certain situations can be put to good use ... if you play with say a slighly distorted tone that you can go clean with, and want to be able to ride the volume knob to get different tones,while keeping a pretty consistant level, then that's a case for the compressor aft OD. True a comp can eat up some attack into overdrive, the main thing that shines with a comp before OD is the ability to use it as a type of gain boost. Bear in mind the issues of feedback and noise, but that goes either way depending on your settings, most often I never ran the oD and comp at the same time unless doing that boost thing, in the aft placement, well it was there for dynamic reasons ... and it did it's job without anyone knowing it was there.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

When I saw the topic, I thought "Why do you need turn on both compressor and OD?"

For me, compressor and OD are mutually exclusive ...
                "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Generally it goes before any OD...OD compresses the signal further as well, and your setup may work otherwise, but it is generally before. In rack multieffects, it is usually hardwired as the first thing in the signal chain.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                    I'm gonna be the odd ball here ... but ....
                    Generally, unless you are using a rack compressor for smaller amounts of compression then generally you would go before the OD (especially with pedals), however thru and effect loop lower levels of compression or limiting in certain situations can be put to good use ... if you play with say a slighly distorted tone that you can go clean with, and want to be able to ride the volume knob to get different tones,while keeping a pretty consistant level, then that's a case for the compressor aft OD. True a comp can eat up some attack into overdrive, the main thing that shines with a comp before OD is the ability to use it as a type of gain boost. Bear in mind the issues of feedback and noise, but that goes either way depending on your settings, most often I never ran the oD and comp at the same time unless doing that boost thing, in the aft placement, well it was there for dynamic reasons ... and it did it's job without anyone knowing it was there.

Good point. At the moment mine hasn't been on my pedal board for a little while, but I'm trying to think of occasions where I actually used the both at the same time for OD rhythm. I don't think it happened.

I used it for extra sustain on lead parts occasionally. But mainly clean rhythm.

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                      Hey Bob.....I'm still waitin for UPS to deliver that Strat LOL
                      Rob-
                      Man, that's strange....It's been over a week now since I sent it 'ol buddy, 'ol pal....
                      I'm still waiting for that Les Paul Classic you sent me!
                      LOL

Comment

Well, UPS must still be backed up from the Christmas Rush !!! LOL By the way, Bob, I " aged " the Pauly just like you wanted......drug it behind my Jeep, and put it on the grinder LOL
                        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                          if you play with say a slighly distorted tone that you can go clean with, and want to be able to ride the volume knob to get different tones,while keeping a pretty consistant level, then that's a case for the compressor aft OD.
                          That is exactly why I like it after the OD.

If I back off my volume knob to clean up the tone, or warm it up, or whatever, the compressor AFTER the OD keeps the level even.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                          buggjuice.net
                          MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                            I have discovered that I use less and less compression for overdriven sounds, but for rhythmparts I still like it alot.
                            But I hate most guitarcompressors, all that annoying squishy tone that is going on bugs me, Ilike them as neutral as possible, but then again I know that there are some classic sounds where you just need that damm red MXR thingy
                            DYNACOMP!!!

Best effect unit on the planet!
                            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Yea, the Dyna comp is a good pedal if you can find a vintage one ($$$), but the Analog Man CompRosser and the Keeley Compressor are just as good or better and they are true bypass. But they are also $$$.

An old Boss CS-2 is a bargain if you can find one for cheap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                              buggjuice.net
                              MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X