banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it difficult to change hardware and parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it difficult to change hardware and parts?

Ive just been hit by a stroke of (pointless) brilliance! Instead of spending 2000 for a gibson LP classic. Why not buy a studio les paul and change the pick guard, knobs, switch, pick up mounts to standard cream colors? Only question, is doing all this possible and difficult? would i need someone to do it for me to take apart the pickup mounts? the swtich? the knobs? would i need glue to keep the knobs in place? or would they keep on falling out?

Here is my vision:
    GIbson Black LP studio
    standard cream colors parts
    zerba set of duncans

= Sweet looks with sweet tones?

Combine that witht he dsl401 im getting and ill be in tone heaven! not too mention ill look cool
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: Is it difficult to change hardware and parts?

that really shouldn't be too hard. take out a couple screws and nuts and you are all set. the knobs should not need glue, they have a nut holding the pot to the body just like the switch, they should just push back on and stay.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

It shouldn't be too difficult because I do that all the time and I am not that smart or skilled!
      "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

If you're not sure of your ability, just go to Rondo Music and pick up a Douglas Strat for $60, or a Samick for $99, and tear it apart. Then put it back together. Sell it or give it to some kid.
        Or keep it and "experiment" with it.

Its a good, cheap learning tool.

Comment

hmm sounds like a good so, for gibson parts there is a slot to stick the part on iand ti will stay put? even for the knobs on a gibson lp studio?

Comment

cuz the swtich selector buttom on my jay turser strat fell of and it goes back on but never stays put.

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
              hmm sounds like a good so, for gibson parts there is a slot to stick the part on iand ti will stay put? even for the knobs on a gibson lp studio?
              Normally knobs just push on, but I've seen tele-style knobs that have allen screws that you can tighten, but I haven't seen them for the les paul style.

Comment

Ahh i see, see the reason being i was just going to ask the guitar repair guys to chnage the parts for me while i changed the pickups to duncans....so its not neccessary?

Comment

what aboutt he pickup mounts? would i need the guitar guy to change it?

Comment

no, you don't need the guitar guys to charge you. you can do this all yourself if you can use a screw driver and a pair of pliers
                    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Working...
                    X