Marshall Lead Mosfet???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Lead Mosfet???

What exactly are Marshall Mosfets and are they any good? What kind of music are they best for?
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Re: Marshall Lead Mosfet???

I started a thread about these on the old forum after seeing them here and there. i found out there solid state. after i learned that i didn't go into to much more detail about them.

i guess that makes me a tube snob.lol
    Deadbolt

Comment

MOSFET is a solid state transistor. It stands for metal oxide silicon field effect. Tube is a transistor but not solid state.
      "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

There you go, take it from brisk. I was aware that just about anything FET was solid state, but wasn't exactly sure what the MOS part stood for.

Comment

Yep, they perform the amplication opposed to a tube. They are pretty common in bass amps too.

Comment

i stand corrected.
            Deadbolt

Comment

I had one during the 80's. I think it was a lead 100 mosfet. I ended up selling it to a friend who played for $500. Not a bad amp as I recall. But its not an amp that I remember as being "tone to die for" It was a small head and light to carry though.
              2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

So, I guess this amp isn't exactly a winner, eh? Deadbolt, I'm a bit of a tube snob myself (how can you not be after owning a 5150? ), but I'm willing to explore!
                Watch My Videos
                Photography
                www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

The MOSFET technology is supposed to more closely resemble that of tube technology, more so than regular 'ol solid state. MOSFET amps sound warmer to me than standard solid state amps. The MOSFET wave is more round, like that of a Tube amp, whereas a regular solid state wave is square, jagged.
                  Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Sounds better as HI-FI amps really, nice warm sound, good for overdrives too, but they need a good setup, not the easiest transistor to couple up right.

Comment

Working...
                    X