Kahler Bass Trem First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler Bass Trem First Impressions

Well, i recieved my new bass today, and i'm pretty damn happy with what i have. It has a kahler bass trem on it, which was one of the main reasons that i was looking into it. Since the things are so darn elusive, and there are probably some bass players who are curious about the trem itself here is a brief review.

The first thing that struck me as neat, was the fact that it's REALLY comfortable to play fingerstyle, with the trem in your hand, while anchored on a pickup. The trem works quite well this way, for play with a pick, the trem sits a bit higher than is my personal preference, but is still very comfortable. For those of you who have played the kahler pro for guitar know how the trem behaves, compared to a floyd rose, very little pressure is needed to move it. The kahler bass trem has a lot of tension, however, it's comparable to a floyd rose with 3 springs, since the bar is longer, and you can apply more leverage, and move it easier. If it was shorter, it would be very stiff. Trem dives can go down to where the strings go totally limp, and die, while trem pulls only go up 1/2 a step. I'm not 100% sure if this is due to the way my particular kahler is set up, or if it's standard. I'll find out for sure tomorrow, when i change off the dead strings, and put some new ones on. Regardless, it's nice, because if you've ever snapped a bass string, and been subsequently hit with it, you know how good that feels. I'm still getting used to the idea of a bass with a trem on it, but so far it's a neat toy. I was primaraly using it how you'd use a guitar trem, and using trem dives for slides down the neck. Came up with a few basslines using the trem, so we'll see if anything cool enough to record turns up. overall a very cool toy that bass players everywhere should want at least 1 of.
    Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Re: Kahler Bass Trem First Impressions

I haven't played a bass with one of those trems on it in at least 12 years. They just never really did anything for me being on a bass. Thanks for the review though.

Comment

The bassist in my band I think would like this, thanks.

Comment

I've got an old G&L Interceptor bass with a Kahler tremelo on it. I'd love to try it out, but it's missing the bar, and I can't find one for it. Playing it as a regular bass the tremelo doesn't get in my way, or cause any problems.

Sprinter
        Collings: '08 001-mhsb
        Dean: '02 Hardtail
        Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
        Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
        Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
        G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
        Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
        Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
        PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Nice. Incidentally, what bass is the trem even on?

Colonel Claypool likes 'em.
          It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
          - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
            Nice. Incidentally, what bass is the trem even on?

Colonel Claypool likes 'em.
            Les Claypool plays custom Carl Thompson 4, 5 and 6 string basses, of which IIRC 2 4-strings have Kahler Bass trems
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Byakhee's bass is an '87 Charvel model 1B with a maple fingerboard.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

And now it's got a new set of non-dead strings
                Not the elixer strings i usually play, just GHS's... but for a broke dude like myself, they'll work out fine untill they're dead in a month or so. Then it's a short break for some military duty, then i'll have money again, and i can change the strings on all my basses. wee!

The way i look at it, if it's good enough for Les Claypool, it's good enough for me. Only diffrence being, i'm nowhere near good enough to play any of Les' stuff... Guess i better get practicing. However, after playing with it more, i've come to the conclusion that it's a great toy, provided that you don't overuse it. I can't say that it's for every bass player or every band, but it's unique, and for people who dig wierd, unique stuff like myself, then it's pretty cool.

Originally posted by Sprinter
                I've got an old G&L Interceptor bass with a Kahler tremelo on it. I'd love to try it out, but it's missing the bar, and I can't find one for it. Playing it as a regular bass the tremelo doesn't get in my way, or cause any problems.

Sprinter
                There are a couple of companies that make replacement trem arms, i've seen them crop up on ebay occasionally. Of course, if the rumors of kahler coming back are true, you could just get in contact with them, and get a replacement arm.
                Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Working...
                X