Why delay is a great effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why delay is a great effect?

Since a long time I donīt use a delay just the reverb of my amp. I have use a delay with a cheap multieffects that I have years ago.
    But is worth to get a good one today. What kind of advantages can get for my playing? how can it be use?
    Thank you.

Re: Why delay is a great effect?

I think it has many ways it can be used. I have a Boss DD-3 and i use it for many things. To make you sound fuller, emulate a reverb, to get some space ship noises.

At a short delay time (like 1-10ms) it can make the sound "dry".

You can do 50's Rockabily. I know some people doesn't like the digital ones to play this music but, i my opinion, you can get very sactisfactory sounds from them.

With a long delay setting (200-300ms) and distorsion you can make you solos sound great!

Just think of all the people and styles that have use them, well... In any style people have use the delay!

One of my favorites it is The Edge (U2).

Comment

i use the dd-3 to make my sound fuller and that in itself makes the pedal worth while for me.... everything else it does is just a bonus
      boreddddddddddd

Comment

with long delays (4 secs and higher) you can loop sound.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I used to think I couldn't play without it, never turned it off, but since I took it out of my chain a few months ago I like my tone a lot better. My tastes have changed I guess.

Comment

I would use it to make cool verse riffs like most of the bands nowadays. I like how people like Tantric use delay. I don't have one, but I am contemplating getting one.
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I think it takes a basic sound and makes it more 3-Dimensional, and gives it a little more depth. Creates kind of a landscape of sound. My favorite effect.

Comment

Delay sounds cool, it's mysterious, and to a certain point I think it's spiritual.

Delay/volume effects are mostly the type of stuff I do with my delay, or in certain instances to make it sound like I've got a second guitarist...

Comment

I totally think of delays as spiritual.

I also totally think they can make me sound like a halfway decent fingerpicker.

But I love using it after a volume pedal. The delays blend together and sound like a violin in a grand hall. Amazing. Especially with overdrive.

God, those things are so versatile. You can do anything.
                  Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                  Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                  Originally posted by Sosomething
                  "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Boss DD-2 is nice and warm. More so than the DD-3. My preference is for the Chandler Digital Stereo Echo. Very warm and dimensional. I think the company went out of business though. Check Ebay every once in a while.
                    "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                    R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                    http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
                      I think it takes a basic sound and makes it more 3-Dimensional
                      Yes - I definitely think it makes it more 3-Dimensional.
                      Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Sonunds really good thankīs and wich want do you recomend? in the $100-$150 dls range?

Comment

I think the DD-3 it is that range. It is a VERY good one.

Comment

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

i always set my delay for 500 ms with low level and lots and lots of feadback. it makes solos done alone without a band stand out and not get boring. and it gives it a cooler and fuller sound. just listen to eric johnson. all his solos have delay on them and it adds lots of deapth to his sound.
                              Down at the edge, close by a river.
                              Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                              Close to the end, down by the corner.
                              Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

Working...
                              X