Decent 12 String Acoustic Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent 12 String Acoustic Guitar?

For a friend, I am looking for a 12 string acoustic guitar that has nice tone and decent action. I know that Martin makes great guitars but the price is probably going to be rather high in this case.

I used to own a 12 string that was very hard to play, and it was discouraging, so I am hoping to find something with decent action.
    I recently tried a few at the local music store and the $400-$500 models are hit and miss, but a couple were pretty decent.

I have a 6 string Martin/Sigma which really is not bad at all, for a "lower end" guitar. Has anyone played a 12-string Sigma?
    Does anyone have an inside scoop on what to look for? or what to avoid?
    Thanks
    My Duncan demos and songs

Re: Decent 12 String Acoustic Guitar?

I have a Yamaha fgx-412c that plays and sounds great. It's very full and the action is fantastic on it. I'm not sure if they make them anymore. You could probably find one used for around $350-$400 or so. I believe I payed $450 for mine used around 4 years ago.

Comment

I just found this:

Mine's in Natural. I'm not sure if the color shown is the only one they make now or not. They used to come in black as well.

Comment

Our piano player has a Sigma 12 string. Her's plays ok, not a whole lot of difference in it an her D28 as far as playability goes, allowing for the fact that it's a twelve string. I never have thought any Martin I've ever picked up was what I'd call easy to play.

Comment

Thanks guys

Jolly - very cool. I am going to first call around and see if I can find that guitar locally.. check it out thanks bro

Comment

yamaha does make great acoustics, my acoustic is a yamaha and i love it.

also though, i did play a taylor 12-string that just blew my mind. it was amazing.
            esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
            fender mim standard strat
            peavey classic 30
            johnson j-station
            original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
            dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
            yamaha f-310p acoustic
            taylor 410 acoustic
            "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

ahhhh...yessss...the taylor 12 strings.........acoustic heaven!!!!!!!!!!

but pricey...LOL!!!

i've played some decent ones...Ovation and Takamines come to mind...!?
              Originally posted by jeremy
              God hates bad guitar tone
              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Thanks guys. I was hoping to get some specific models that you have actually played before I start calling around. I will probably just try out everything in town

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                  Thanks guys. I was hoping to get some specific models that you have actually played before I start calling around. I will probably just try out everything in town

LOL!!!
                  i can't remember any models...but playing a bunch of em' is the best thing to do anyways...!?
                  Originally posted by jeremy
                  God hates bad guitar tone
                  GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                  AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                  EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                  Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

today i played 3 12's that were all in the 4-500 range

alvarez aj60XII (i think) - basic 12 string, alvarez....the neck is a boat, but its a 12, nice full, alvarez tone. surprisingly easy to play, but all alvarez's are, nice low action, good tone. 440 i think?

alvarex aj60ceXII (i think) - same as above but with cutaway and electronics, more $$ tho. i dont like cutaway models or acoustics with electrics, they usually stink and the cutaway doesnt help tone......same playing, but dont bother, get a decent mic.

yamaha (wahtever model) - not as low action, but still decently easy to play, tinnier or brighter sound.. not bad, a bit cheaper

also ive played the martin j15-12, its the 12 string jumbo 15, its like 700 new, but u can get them less used. harder to play (like most martins) due to smaller frets, but i like martins, and reccomend one.
                    Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                    Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                    Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                    Crate VC-3112
                    Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                    Fender Bassman 60

Comment

My dad's got an Ibanez Artwood series AW-75, its a FANTASTIC sounding guitar... sounds just as good as his Martin D12-28, although its a different sort of sound... the ibanez is much more 'brilliant', whereas the martin is mellower.... but the guitar is by no means bright or brittle sounding. It has a decent action, too... my dad picked it up in a pawnshop... i'd say if you can find one, i'd get it, i'd assume they're pretty cheap, and if they play or sound anything like my dads, you got yourself a KILLER deal.
                      '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
                      Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
                      '66 Fender Bassman
                      Fender Champion 600
                      Fender Stage 100

Comment

BluesNRock, JMV, thanks guys I am still looking.
                        I found a nice Fender for $394. The action is very nice and it sounds beautiful with great resonance. It's amp ready also.
                        It's a Fender DG16E12.

Comment

Working...
                        X