Hardtail question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtail question

Ok, this is the first strat hardtail I've ever owned. To me, it seems as though the saddle are riding really high. In fact, one of the saddles is close to the end of it's height adjustment threads.

(1) Does this seem too high to you (playing wise, it feels great)?

(2) Here are the hole spacings for the vintage bridge I have now, and the hole spacings for the Hipshot bridge. Do you think they will line up, or am I SOL?

(3) On an unrelated topic, how does a 4-position Tele switch work? Are the positions independent, so that I could wire up something strange like bridge, neck+bridge, neck, middle?
    This machine kills fascists

Re: Hardtail question

1.) If it feels good, go with it.

Comment

I agree they look high. But look at the space between the pups and strings. Looks close to "right" for me.

Definitely check the intonation, as JohnJohn said. That looks off from what I'm used to seeing.

Is this a new bridge you put on recently? A few hardtails I've seen, the height adjustment screws are shorter the higher (1st and 2nd) strings. Maybe you need to take the saddles out and swap them around some?

Comment

The intonation is fine, and the height of the low-E off of the 22nd fret is between 3-4 mm, which is the same on my other two Warmoths.

I came to that bridge height after raising and raising the saddle to eliminate string buzz. Like I said, it plays great, but I'm almost out of threads on some the saddles (actually, I did run out of threads, had to pop the screw back in and lower the height). I was concerned that maybe not having as many threads in contact with the saddle might affect sustain or tone.

The bridge is new, and originally came with stamped saddles (they had the same height proble). For aesthetic reasons, I switched out the stamped saddles for the solid ones shown above. The stamped came with longer screws, so I switched those over to the new saddles.

Too bad someone doesn't make a plate I could bolt on to the bottom of the bridge to raise it up.

Comment

Nope, the neck was never shimmed (I put the guitar together from new Warmoth parts a week or so ago). And comparing it to my two other strat-type guitars (both with Floyds), the height of the low-E from the pickguard is within 1 mm. Maybe it's just the thicker Warmoth fretboard?

Anyway, I'll see if I can back the screws down a turn or two. I don't like fret buzz, but I also don't the idea of the saddles sitting on only a thread or two.

Comment

I'm thinking about loosening the heal screws and installing a shim on the side facing the headstock. I'll try that later this weekend and see what happens.

Comment

Yup, A shim will do the trick. I've got necks from warmoth that needed to
              be shimed. If you look down from the top horn of the body at the fretboard
              it's probalay not horizontial with the body. Or you might say the pitch of
              the neck doesn't match the body? Put a shim in the heel of the pocket
              and you should be able to lower your bridge and set it up right .
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
              X