No announcement yet.

Question on purchasing guitar parts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on purchasing guitar parts...

If I do have a guitar made custom for me through Warmoth, I'd also have to get all the parts and stuff for it. I noticed that I can get the three Duncans through Black Rose Customs for about 50 bucks cheaper, in total, than through Warmoth. I'm just curious if anyone knows of a supplier of, essentially, any parts you may need, from nuts, to pots, to bridges, to whatever, and if they sell substantially cheaper than Warmoth does.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Re: Question on purchasing guitar parts...

I'd suggest getting everything except maybe pots and pickups from Warmoth, depending on what you build - I didn't like the long shaft pots they sell on my strat

other than that, they have pretty good prices on the hardware and knobs and miscellanious stuff

I had to get my Sperzels elsewhere, since they don't carry those

I'd get the pickups and pots from BlackRose or Lew, and maybe a little cloth covered hook up wire as well, and a couple Orange Drops for the caps - I think those are better than the ceramic discs that Warmoth sells
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

i would suggest if it is a strat or tele that you get some of the parts from callaham. He is very fast and makes superior part but he does cost more.

The recognized industrial leader in vintage aftermarket guitar parts. Made in Virginia from the highest quality materials since 1990.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I've bought stuff from both Lew and Blackrose, and I've found their prices to be very competitive. Things like switches, pots, and jacks can typically be found on Ebay pretty cheap. I'm intrigued by that Earvana compensating nut, but I imagine you could also get a regular bone nut and the tuners on Ebay as well. Mouser also has good prices on most of the electronics stuff you will need.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Guitarelectronics.com is also a good place. They have a nice selection of switches, pots, and such.

The only thing I don't like is that they changed their web interface, and it's a bit confusing. For example, I went to order and APS2, and I had a choice between a bridge or neck/middle. Well...usually, the choice is between normal (bridge and neck) or reverse-wound-reverse polarity (middle), and sometimes bridge and neck (bridge being higher output). I was too lazy to call them up, took a gamble and order the middle/neck model (I wanted a normal wound APS for the neck).

What arrived was an RWRP for the middle. So I called them up, got an RA#, and sent it back last saturday via express mail. The replacement arrived on Wednesday.

Good prices and good and fast service. Their new web site does need some design help (i.e. their schematics pages are all screwed up now).
          This machine kills fascists

Comment

I'd suggest making a complete shopping list:

Bridge (w/ string ferrules if string-through body)
            tuners
            nut (buy at least 2 for backup - if you're cutting it yourself)
            strap holders (Schaller IMHO)
            pickguard
            shielding foil/paint
            wire (Radio Shack)
            pots
            caps
            knobs
            selector switch
            jack & jack plate
            neck plate & screws
            pickups (duh on me)
            and whatever else I've forgotten

Shipping costs can easily eat up perceived "savings". I'd start at Black Rose and see how much gets covered. Warmoth can probably deliver the rest - their hardware generally is good quality and they usually end up cheapest for the parts that they carry (especially compared to StewMac). However, I'll second the recommendation of Callaham parts - they're top quality and rock solid for bridges, knobs, jack and/or control plates, etc.

BTW here's a great source for Sperzel tuners in any color or configuration you can think of: http://www.tkinstruments.com/id75.htm The only place I could find locking tuners in a 4x2 setup.

Hope this helps,

Chip

Chip
            Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
            Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
            Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
            SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
            SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
            "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
              What you could try is to gather a full list of what you want and take it into a local shop and get a quote on purchasing everything at once.Many stores will do a bulk discount,or if they order it all in for you at once may save a couple of dollars for you that way.
              I kinda like this idea myself, however for *stock electrical parts* nothing beats the big suppliers , pups would be dealers of them (Lew, Blackrose, or your local music store ... it's still a good thing to try to keep the local economy going), All parts still has some good stuff, a stew mac isn't bad for somethings. Other than brand name stuff, like a floyd rose bridge, or pups, or specific tuners, you may just have to price shop (you knew this of course), and decide what to get from who, one stop shopping unfortunately won't really work well, the exception being possibly your local stores, with the affore mentioned bulk orders. Things like electrical parts though must be scurtinized a bit, as there are good switches, and cheap switches, and better pots. Also as a tip, on certain tools and things like conductive paint it's a good idea to check places like tool suppliers, and fabricator suppliers ... a lot of those special tools, are also used in other fields as well, and are often sold much cheaper without the guitar world attached to it. Generally, it comes down to research.Often times to, you'll have to take a so-so deal then as your turnover picks up, you'll get better deals from your locals becuase they know you'll be a repeat customer.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

If youre getting a Compound radius neck and a Floyd, get the floyd from Warmoth. They used to grind the saddles to fit the radius perfectly, Im assuming when I write this that they still do.

Other than that, most of the "small stuff" you can get cheaper somewhere else, but you may have to shop around.

All in all I find Warmoths pricing fair, theyre a tad on the hefty side for some products like pickups, but 1) they ALWAYS have ANY accessory in the catalog in stock or available within 24 hrs (at least Ive never seen or heard of them ever having to backorder something like a trem, pickup, pickuguard material etc.), and 2) the service usually justifies the slightly higher price
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                  If youre getting a Compound radius neck and a Floyd, get the floyd from Warmoth. They used to grind the saddles to fit the radius perfectly, Im assuming when I write this that they still do.
                  Hey Zerb; you've piqued my curiosity with this statement. I thought the whole point of the two little adjustment allens was to alter the individual saddle heights. Why would they need to grind anything?

Not saying that you're wrong - I just don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Nope, they sure don't (unless things changed since March 2003). My Floyd saddles needed major shimming to work with their compound radius neck. I think it came out to something like an 18 degree radius at the bridge.
                    This machine kills fascists

Comment

At least on my Floyd Copy, there are no height adjusting hex screws like on the strat saddles. Mine happen to be pre-radiused to match my fretboard, but you generally have to use special shims to adjust Floyds to a different radius....or have them ground.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

Ok, I get it. Its only with a "Floyd".

Comment

Warmoth does not grind the saddles.

The radius of an Original Floyd bridge is 10". So yes, a lot of folks will shim the Floyd saddles for a flatter radius to better match the upper register of a compound radius. Warmoth's compound radius is around 12-13" around the middle of the neck where you play alot, so it's not that far off and some people are fine without shimming.

If you buy the Schaller Floyd bridge that Warmoth sells, it's radius is 14" and is overall a better match for the Compound neck. All the locking nuts Warmoth sells are Schaller Floyds with 10" radius.

S
                          Gregg -
                          Warmoth Guitar Products

Comment

Working...
                          X