Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screamin' Demon + VG88 = ??

My mission:
    Our band had to learn, record, mix, and master a cover song for an 80's metal tribute CD in one week.

Methods:
    I recorded most everything in the traditional way: with mic's, except for the bass guitar, which is direct. Since I knew that time would be limited, and it's much easier to track guitar parts at home in your pajamas w/a cup of cawfee (or Redbreast, depending on the hour) then at the studio, I decided to use my trusty Roland VG88 for the guitar parts.

Instruments + Settings:
    I recorded all of my guitar parts using my M1 Tiger, since the song we covered is an 80's tune originally played by George Lynch. I dialed up a great 80's rhythm sound: crunchy, and not too bright. For the lead tone, I used the the same basic setting, and then cranked the gain for added sustain. My friend, Jay Parmar, trades off on the solos with me. He lives in the UK, so we bounced the tracks across the Pond using the internet. He used an ESP Skull & Snakes guitar thru a Line 6 POD.

Pickup on the M1 is a Screamin' Demon. Strings are DR Pure Blues 10-42.

Mix + Master:
    I recorded all of the tracks on my Yamaha AW16G. I edited the tracks in Sonar, and then did all EQ, reverb, and mixing back on the Yamaha. I made stereo submixes of each instrument: vox, drums, bass, guitar, and then mixed each one of those down to a stereo master.

The song was mastered at Sony Music Studios, NY.

Final thoughts:
    If I had more time, there would be a couple of things I would still be tweaking, but this was a real rush-rush job. I'm still very happy with the results, and I think the song came out great!

Please listen and give some feedback:
    Please check out the song at http://twilightsongsunchain.tripod.com. Can you guess which song/artist it is? (Contractual obligations forbid me from spilling the beans here on the Forum since the entire song is posted, not just a clip) What do you think of the song? Let me know!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
Working...
X