Squier Strat = EMGs? Duncans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squier Strat = EMGs? Duncans?

I have a Squier Strat, which sounds ok but I'd like to get better pups for it, but here's my question: it's a newer one, so it's not one of those older, great sounding ones, so I'd imagine the one I have is using sub-standard wood, etc. therefore I was thinking that maybe EMGs would be the way to go, since they are active and blah blah. Or would a good set of Duncans be just as good even though it's on crappier wood than, lets say, a LP?
    Ibanez RG1570: stock
    Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Re: Squier Strat = EMGs? Duncans?

Originally posted by Stratoplayer
    I have a Squier Strat, which sounds ok but I'd like to get better pups for it, but here's my question: it's a newer one, so it's not one of those older, great sounding ones, so I'd imagine the one I have is using sub-standard wood, etc. therefore I was thinking that maybe EMGs would be the way to go, since they are active and blah blah. Or would a good set of Duncans be just as good even though it's on crappier wood than, lets say, a LP?
    About 3 years ago, I still had my first Ibanez GRX-20 or something like that.. I put Duncans in it and breathed new life into it. Both Duncan's and EMG will definately improve the sound.

Here's what I think.. if it's a solid body, snag some new pickups for it. If it's a plywood body, save up for a used MIM strat or something.
    -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
    I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

Hey Stratoplayer; I got a Squier Bullet for my boy, and we we're thinking along the same lines, but possibly doing this:

In comparison to p'ups, a pickgaurd, 5-way and pots are releatively cheap. Build a whole new pickgaurd assembly and replace it lock-stock-and-barrel. A little farther down the road, get Warmoth, or USACG neck. Even farther down the road, a new body.

Now you should have the pieces of the original guitar aside, put them back together and sell it. And your left with a custom guitar.

Sort of a "play-as-you-pay" kinda deal.

Comment

Artie thats A brilliant Idea.....Never thought about replacing the body..
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3
        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

What kind of amp are you using?
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

To me, a Squier's not worth saving or upgrading...I mean if you want to then do it but honestly, there's MIM Strats on eBay all the time for $50, just grab one of those.

-X
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
            X