banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TUBE AMP-Do I crank the channel vol or Master volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUBE AMP-Do I crank the channel vol or Master volume?

I'm new with tube amps. Mine has 2 channels. Lead channel has a gain knob and a volume knob. Unit also has an overall master volume.

Do I use the gain knob in conjunction with the channel volume cranked or do I crank the master volume and adjust the loudness with channel volume?

Which drives the preamp?
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Re: TUBE AMP-Do I crank the channel vol or Master volume?

The channel vol will drive the pre to distort rather than the master.......play around with both the gain and channel vol to tweek that sweet tone spot. On my JCM 600, I usually run the gain around 4/5, the chan vol about 7 and the master to suit my wife's noise tolerance.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Hey Jump, ...I had a 600, Excellent Amp.
      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

crank the channel volume to drive pre-amp
        jump has it right.

my amp = no master, so i have gain about 5, and volume for both A and B matched to about whatever wont piss anyone off. when im alone, A gets cranked for pre-amp distortion, and also for reherasal and stuff
        Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
        Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
        Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
        Crate VC-3112
        Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
        Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Working...
        X