Digital Recorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Recorders

I need a few opinions here. At the moment I'm really torn between buying a Gibson Les Paul Classic or Standard, or, purchasing a digital recorder. I already have a PA rack with a good Behringer 1604 mixer, Peavey CS800 amp, Lexicon effects processor, an EQ, Yamaha Club series speakers, and that's great for a small venue gig (should I actually ever realize my dream of performing live....my biological clock is ticking at 46 yrs. young....lol). A buddy of mine that I jam with recently purchased a Fostex MR-8 recorder that he's finding difficult to use for any extended recordings due to the storage capacity of the single 128MB media card that came with the unit. Myself, if I was to buy a recorder I'd want something that has 20-40 GB's of hardrive and records at least 8 tracks at once.
    I've researched the MR-8's bigger brothers, the VF80 and 160 which can be bought with a CD burner built-in, which I feel is the only way to go for me as I don't have a desire to buy or build another pc to dedicate solely to recording at this time. I just want the ability to produce music on a disc so I can play it back and hear what I sound like, using it also as a tool to hone my skills. I could always use a music-editing software program to do more work with my music on my computer after I had a disc burned.
    About buying a Les Paul, well, I still have my Epi LP Standard which I still enjoy playing a lot, plus the Schecter C-1 and 60's Strat all give me some pretty decent variety. So unless a really rippin' deal comes along on a Gibby that I just can't refuse, I COULD probably get by for awhile longer with the axes I already have for the time being.
    At this moment I have a strong desire to record. All of you guys who's posted some clips have me feeling pretty envious, and I'd like some opinions from all of you once in a while on my musical ability, but obviously I can't do it w/o a recorder.
    What would you do in my place?

Thanks for any replies.
    -Bob
    Last edited by midnite_man; 03-16-2004, 09:26 PM.

bump

Comment

sorry, but I gotta bump this again.
      I'd really appreciate some input on this one guys.
      -Bob

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
        sorry, but I gotta bump this again.
        I'd really appreciate some input on this one guys.
        -Bob
        Bob..Since you seem to be pretty content with the variety of guitars you have and your amps,maybe going the recording route is a good thing..You've already expressed a desire to record so I say go in that direction buddy...It has to be digital though right? I'm old fashioned as you know Bob,and I still love my Tascam 488 MK2...This was and still is,one of the best analog cassette 8 trackers ever made...Well,at least in my mind it is!

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I have gone to using my PC again mostly but I have the Tascam Porta 788 which I think is fantastic. I really can't recommend any of the units that use the memory card they'll drive you nuts with the small capacity.

I liked the Fostex unit but at the time I got the 788 it was a better deal. I think Robert S has a Fostex 16 track that he likes quite a bit.

You can score 788s new for about 699 with a burner 599 w/o.

I was considering selling mine since it is rarely being used, if you're interested let me know.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
          X